Bees Waste Eight Run Lead in Loss
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Burlington Bees (58-77) lost an eight run lead in a 9-8 loss, in ten innings, against the Cedar Rapids Kernels (74-62) on Thursday night at Perfect Game Field.
The Bees opened the game up in the third with a six run inning. Richie Fecteau, Brandon Sandoval, and Sam McDonnell all singeld to load the bases. Brennan Morgan made it four straight singles by driving in Fecteau, extending the Bees' lead to 3-0. Artemis Kakdhodaian then singled in a pair before Stephen Kerr doubled in two runs, pushing the lead to 7-0. Jonah Todd capped of the inning with a RBI groundout, upping the lead to 8-0.
After the Kernels put a run on the board in the bottom of the third, Cedar Rapids batted around in the fifth inning. Travis Blankenhorn started the inning with a double and then scored on a Caleb Hamilton single to center. The Kernels added two more runs on a Shane Carrier home run. The Kernels went on to score four runs in the inning, tying the game at eight.
No team would score agains until the tenth inning. Jordan Gore opened the bottom of the 10th inning with a single and moved to second on a passed ball. Aaron Whitefield then shot a double to right, scoring Gore, giving the Kernels a 9-8 win. Cedar Rapids' reliever Patrick McGuff (3-2) earned the win while Connor Riley (0-2) was charged with the loss.
The Bees and the Kernels will finish the series on Friday at 6:30 p.m. at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Jose Suarez will make the start for the Bees against Charlie Barnes for the Kernels. Listen to the Bees with the voice of the Burlington Bees, Michael Broskowski on Fox Sports 104.5 and 1360 and online at gobees.com and foxsportsiowa.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2017
- Clinton LumberKings top Kane County Cougars 6-4 - Clinton LumberKings
- Dual Comeback Efforts Fall Short against Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Bees Waste Eight Run Lead in Loss - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers defeated the Beloit Snappers 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes 4, Fort Wayne 2 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Muhammad Muscles TinCaps - Great Lakes Loons
- Extra-Inning Games Continue in Walk-Off Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Eliminated, Lose 4-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Playoff Tickets on Sale - Peoria Chiefs
- Walk Hard: Bandits Drop Third Straight - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jacob Drives Lugs to 4th Straight Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Shutout Dragons, Snap Lengthy Losing Streak - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Cool off Dragons - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.