Bees Take Second Straight from Cougars
Bees Take Second Straight From Cougars
Julian Leon collects three hits in the win
(Burlington, IA) - Andrew Vinson threw five shutout innings as the Burlington Bees (54-70) put together 14 hits in a 5-1 win over the Kane County Cougars (67-55) on Saturday night at Northwestern Medicine Field.
Just like game one, the Bees opened the scoring in the first inning. Leonardo Rivas and Jonah Todd started the inning with back-to-back singles, placing runners at first and third. Julian Leon then hit a double off the wall in right, scoring Rivas, giving the Bees a 1-0 lead. Richie Fecteau then made it 2-0 with a RBI single to right field. Brandon Sandoval made it a three-run inning, lining a single to left, scoring Fecteau, pushing the Bees lead to 3-0.
After going down in order in the second inning, the Bees added to their lead in the third. Julian Leon opened the inning with a single and moved to second on a Richie Fecteau single. Brennan Morgan grounded a ball down the left field line, scoring two runs, giving the Bees a 5-0 lead.
Kane County scored a run in the ninth on a Marcus Wilson RBI single but the Bees would hang on for the 5-1 win. Bees' starting pitcher Andrew Vinson (9-9) tossed five innings without allowing a run, rendering just one hit, winning his team-leading ninth game of the season. Kane County Starter Mack Lemieux (7-5) was charged with the loss.
The Bees and the Cougars will continue the series on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Northwestern Medicine Field as Luis Madero makes the start for the Bees against Riley Smith for Kane County. Listen to the Bees with the voice of the Burlington Bees, Michael Broskowski on Fox Sports 104.5 and 1360 and online at gobees.com and foxsportsiowa.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2017
- TinCaps ReCap: Fort Wayne Pitchers Match Season High with 19 Ks - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Fall in Wisconsin Saturday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall 7-6 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Win in 10 Innings, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- KERNELS RECAP (): Lujan Earns League-High 15th Save in 1-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 8-19--Vinson Takes No-Hit Bid to Fifth, Cougars Upended by Bees - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Take Second Straight from Cougars - Burlington Bees
- FINAL Cedar Rapids 1 Beloit 0 - No Run Support Spoils Marvelous Start - Beloit Snappers
- Plesac, Garza Dominate Dragons - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.