Baysox Winning Streak Snapped with 5-1 Loss
HARRISBURG, Pa. - The Bowie Baysox (5-3) saw their four-game winning streak come to an end with a 5-1 loss at the hands of the Harrisburg Senators (4-3) in front of a sellout crowd on Friday night at FNB Field in Harrisburg.
Harrisburg grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second as Kelvin Gutierrez reached with a one-out single, stole second and scored later in the frame on Khayyan Norfork's two-out RBI single.
In the top of the fourth, Dan Gamache led off with a single, went to second on a walk, took third on a single and scored on Norfork's RBI groundout to make it a 2-0 game in favor of the Senators.
Taylor Gushue's solo shot in the fifth off of Baysox starter Keegan Akin extended the Harrisburg lead to 3-0.
Akin (0-2) allowed the three runs on eight hits to go along with four walks and a strikeout in five innings of work.
Harrisburg starter Jefry Rodriguez (1-1) surrendered four hits while walking two and fanning four over 6.2 shutout IP.
The Baysox got on the board with a run in the eighth as Cedric Mullins got on base with a one-out single, advanced to second on a single and scored on Austin Hays' RBI single that cut the lead to 3-1.
Following Hays' RBI single, Bowie had runners at first and second with one away, but RHP Roman Mendez (0.2 IP, H) got Aderlin Rodriguez to ground into an inning-ending 5-3 double play.
Harrisburg added a pair of insurance runs including a two-out RBI single from Norfork to make it a 5-1 game. Both runs were unearned against RHP Jay Flaa (1.0 IP, H, 2 R, 0 ER, BB, K).
Mullins' single extended his hitting streak to seven games.
Hays (2-4, RBI), Corban Joseph (2-4) and Ademar Rifaela (2-4) all had multi-hit games for the Baysox, while RHP Tanner Chleborad (2.0 IP, K) had a scoreless outing in relief.
The series continues on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. as RHP Hunter Harvey (0-1, 2.08 in '17) gets the start in his Double-A debut for the Baysox against Harrisburg RHP Luis Reyes (0-1, 11.25).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2018
- River City Blues - Reading Fightin Phils
- Johnson Dazzles Record Crowd in Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Largest Crowd in Senators Home Opening History Watches 5-1 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Bichette's First Triple, Pentecost's First HR Not Enough in Fisher Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Former Major League Pitcher for Second Straight Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Fall to Trenton as Pitchers Dominate - Akron RubberDucks
- Clutch Play from Alvarez and Strong Pitching Lead 2-1 Win over Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Altoona Spoils UPMC Park Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Winning Streak Snapped with 5-1 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Four-Run Fourth Helps Curve Spoil SeaWolves' Home Opener - Altoona Curve
- Great Way to Start: 'Dogs Win Home Opener 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Alonso's Blast Not Enough for Ponies in Portland, 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Acevedo Placed on 7-Day Disabled List - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #7 - Rumble Ponies (3-3) at Sea Dogs (1-5) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 13th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox to Host Educator Appreciation Night on April 20 - Bowie Baysox
- Governor Northam to Throw First Pitch at Richmond Flying Squirrels' Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce Transactions - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.