Baysox Avoid Sweep with 2-1 Matinee Win
BOWIE, Md. - Stout pitching and an Ademar Rifaela two-run home run lifted the Bowie Baysox to a 2-1 win over the Binghamton Rumble Ponies in front of 4,398 at Prince George's Stadium Wednesday afternoon.
The day started with a scoreless pitcher's duel through the first six and a half innings, but the Baysox (17-28) cracked the scoreboard in the seventh inning. Rylan Bannon led off with a single and scored one batter later on a two-run home to right field off the bat of Rifaela. The right fielder gave the hosts a 2-0 lead, leapfrogging Bannon for the team lead in both home runs (5) and RBI (19).
Patrick Mazeika's solo home run in the eighth inning halved the margin, but Tanner Chleborad retired the side to earn his first win of the season. The first reliever to appear in the game, the righty allowed the one run and hit, while striking out a pair in two innings.
Binghamton (25-16) used a leadoff double and a single to put the go-ahead runners on base against Bowie closer Tyler Erwin. The lefty got Alfredo Escalera to fly out to Rifaela in shallow right field for the first out, and then got a game-ending double play on the next pitch to earn his fifth save of the 2019 season.
Baysox starter Bruce Zimmermann turned in another quality performance in a no-decision on the mound. The lefty held the Rumble Ponies to six scattered hits across six scoreless innings, striking out seven batters. Wednesday marked the second time that Zimmermann has allowed no runs in a start--the first coming on May 10 in an 11-strikeout outing against Richmond in Maryland.
The Baysox enjoy an off day Thursday before heading back to UPMC Park for the final four-game series of the season against the Erie SeaWolves, Double-A Affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. RHP Marcos Molina (2-4, 3.74) faces Erie for the second straight start (and fourth overall) after holding the Howlers to two earned runs over six innings during Bowie's extra-inning victory May 17.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Parkinson and patient approach carry R-Phils to 9-1 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Pitching Dominates in 3-2 Thunder Win - Trenton Thunder
- Matheny Knocks in Two as Portland Suffers a 3-2 Loss in Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Ride Morgan's Start to 6-1 Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Vieaux Fans 10 in Low-Scoring Defeat - Altoona Curve
- Davidson and Garcia with Two Hits Each, Sens Fall 6-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 22nd at Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Drop Series Finale in Bowie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Avoid Sweep with 2-1 Matinee Win - Bowie Baysox
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information at Akron - Harrisburg Senators
- Power, Pitching Propel Yard Goats to Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves Stumble in Series Finale in Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Army West Point vs Harvard at Dunkin' Donuts Park this Thursday Morning - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game 41 Rumble Ponies (25-15) at Bowie Baysox (16-28) - 11:05AM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowie Baysox Stories
- Baysox Host 13th Annual Holiday Hope Project
- Baysox Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Orioles Announce 2020 Minor League Coaching Staffs
- Eastern League Announces 2019 Minor League Award Nominees
- Baumann Named 2019 Orioles Co-Pitcher of the Year