Bats Explode as Missions Rout 'Hounds
San Antonio used a 15-hit attack to pound Midland 11-3 in front of a sellout Tuesday night crowd of 6,438 at Wolff Stadium.
After being stymied by RockHounds pitching in each of the first two games of the series, the Missions put up a five spot in the first against lefty A.J. Puk (0-3). Highlighting the uprising was a bases-clearing double to left by catcher Webster Rivas . Puk, one of Oakland's top pitching prospects, did not last past the first. On June 24 at The Wolff, Puk lasted just a third of an inning in a start.
Midland got one of the runs back in the second against right-hander Enyel De Los Santos with a Tyler Ramirez single to right.
After the Missions pushed the lead back to five in the third, the RockHounds threatened to make a game of it with a pair of runs in the fourth. De Los Santos (7-4) put up a zero in the fifth and then his offense took care of the rest of the contest.
In the bottom of the fifth, Luis Urias gave the Missions a 7-3 lead with an RBI-single off reliever Aaron Kurcz .
An inning later, San Antonio broke the game open against Carlos Navas with a four-run rally, highlighted by a two-RBI double to right by Rivas, who finished with a game-high and career-high five runs driven in.
Relievers Kyle McGrath, Buddy Baumann and Cesar Vargas combined on four scoreless innings to complete San Antonio's league-leading 57th win of the season.
San Antonio (16-9, 57-38) wraps up its four-game series with Midland (8-17, 43-52) Wednesday on Military Appreciation Night presented by Air Force Federal Credit Union. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM. Brett Kennedy (8-5, 3.62) will get the start for the Missions in the finale, while the 'Hounds counter with fellow righty Grant Holmes (6-9, 4.92).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pitching Carries Missions to Series Split - San Antonio Missions
- Travs Take Series in Tulsa with 3-2 Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Bats Explode as Missions Rout 'Hounds - San Antonio Missions
- Three Four-Run Innings for Travs in Win over Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- San Antonio Gets Back in Series with Huge Offensive - San Antonio Missions
- Davis Dazzles for Frisco - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Miller's Big Night Not Enough in - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.