Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked Sixth Among Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys
The 2018 top-25 best-selling player jerseys were announced by Major League Soccer on Monday, with Chicago Fire midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger's No. 31 jersey ranking at No. 6 among all MLS players. The announcement marks the second consecutive year that Schweinsteiger has ranked in the top 10 in MLS for jersey sales, with the German midfielder ranking second in his debut MLS season with the Fire in 2017.
Additionally, Schweinsteiger is one of 18 MLS designated players in the top 25. LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic topped this year's list, while LAFC forward Carlos Vela, Atlanta United FC forward Josef Martinez, D.C. United forward Wayne Rooney and Atlanta United FC midfielder Miguel Almiron rounded out the top five.
The rankings are based on the overall retail sales of adidas MLS jerseys on MLSStore.com since the beginning of the 2018 season. Click here to view the complete list of the top-25 best-selling jerseys in MLS.
MEN IN RED TO HOST D.C. UNITED IN SEASON FINALE ON OCT. 28
The Chicago Fire (8-18-7, 31 points) will take on D.C. United (14-11-8, 50 points) in the final match of the regular season at Toyota Park on Sunday, Oct. 28 at 3:30 p.m. CT (ESPN+/Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200). Coverage begins at 3:15 p.m. CT with a live pregame show on ESPN+ presented by CIBC.
Presented by AT&T, the match will serve as Fan Appreciation Day. Tickets are available by calling 888-MLS-FIRE or visiting Ticketmaster. The first 5,000 fans in the stadium will receive a free AT&T rechargeable power bank. Additionally, the match will feature $2 hot dogs presented by Red Hot Chicago.
CHICAGO FIRE vs. D.C. UNITED
The Fire hold a 20-23-15 all-time record against D.C. United in regular-season play, including an 11-7-10 record in matches played at home.
This is the second regular-season meeting between the two sides this year. In the previous meeting, midfielder Raheem Edwards scored his first career goal for the Fire in a 2-1 defeat at Audi Field on Oct. 7.
CHICAGO FIRE-D.C. UNITED CONNECTIONS
Midfielder Dax McCarty spent the first half of the 2011 season with D.C. United. McCarty tallied two assists in 13 appearances before being traded to the New York Red Bulls on June 27, 2011.
Currently serving as an assistant coach for D.C. United, Zach Thornton spent a majority of his playing career as a goalkeeper with the Fire. From 1998 to 2006, Thornton made 215 regular-season appearances for the Men in Red, winning the 1998 MLS Cup and three Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup trophies (2000, 2003 and 2006).
D.C. defender Kevin Ellis began the 2018 season as a member of the Fire. He appeared in 20 league matches before being waived on Aug. 9.
CHICAGO FIRE U-15 ACADEMY TEAM CROWNED 2018 BELLSPORT CUP CHAMPIONS
The Chicago Fire Academy's Under-15 team were named 2018 Bellsport Cup champions on Sunday. Held in Zakopane, Poland, from Oct. 19 through Oct. 21, the Fire represented the United States alongside 17 additional U-15 teams from across Europe, including England's Leicester City, France's Olympique Marseille, and Poland's Legia Warsaw.
The Fire went undefeated across 10 matches and outscored their opponents 13 goals to zero.
Defender Justin Reynolds was named Player of the Tournament, while goalkeepers Christopher Brady and Gabriel Slonina combined for 10 shutouts.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 22, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 22, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked Sixth Among Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC's Regular Season Finale vs. LAFC to Air on FS1 - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Decision Day 2018 Presented by AT&T to Air on FS1 on October 28 - MLS
- Altidore to Miss Final Match - Toronto FC
- Dom Dwyer Among Best-Selling MLS Jerseys of 2018 - Orlando City SC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named Top-Selling Jersey in MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MLS Unveils Three United Players for 2018 Top-Selling Jerseys - D.C. United
- MLS Unveils 2018 Top-Selling Jerseys - MLS
- Registration for the Pre-Academy Program Tryouts Now Open - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup
- Chicago Fire and Supporters to Stand Together in 2019
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 12, 2019
- Chicago Fire Acquires 2019 International Roster Spot from Minnesota United FC