Barracuda Sign WHL Defensemen Montana Onyebuchi and Nick Cicek to ATOs
San Jose, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (@SJBarracuda), proud American Hockey League (@TheAHL) affiliate of the San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks), and General Manager Joe Will announced today that the team has signed defensemen Montana OnyebuchiÂ (ON-you-BOO-chee) (@MontanaOny2) and Nick Cicek (CHEE-check) out of the Western Hockey League (@TheWHL) to amateur tryouts agreements, with the intention of signing both players to AHL contracts for next year. Per club policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.
"Both Nick and Montana are big, physical players who have improved their skating significantly over their time in junior," said Will. "They each took leadership roles with their respective teams this season and we look forward to helping them pursue their NHL goals."
Onyebuchi, 21, just finished his final season of junior with the Kamloops Blazers (@blazerhockey), where he served as an alternate captain for the last two seasons. In 20 games with the Blazers in 2021, the six-foot-three, 210-pound native of Dugald, Manitoba collected 12 points (two goals, 10 assists), 38 penalty minutes and a plus-four rating.
The right-shot blueliner skated in 257 WHL games over five seasons with Kamloops and the Everett Silvertips (@WHLsilvertips), racking up 75 points (19 goals, 56 assists), 440 penalty minutes and a plus-38 rating.
Cicek, 20, just wrapped his final season in the WHL with the Portland Winterhawks (@pdxwinterhawks), collecting 21 points (five goals, 16 assists), 46 penalty minutes and a plus-eight rating in 24 games while serving as the team's captain. The left-shot defenseman ranked second in the leagues and first among defensemen in PIM.
Over his three-year career with the Winterhawks, the six-foot-three, 201-pound native of Winnipeg, Manitoba collected 48 points (nine goals, 39 assists), 197 penalty minutes and a plus-48 rating.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 21, 2021
- HSK Win First Playoff Game in Franchise History, 4-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Sign WHL Defensemen Montana Onyebuchi and Nick Cicek to ATOs - San Jose Barracuda
- Tucson Roadrunners 2021 Road That Was - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Condors Host Game 1 against Gulls Live on 23ABC Tonight at 6 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Ink Steenn Pasichnuk
- American Hockey League Announces Changes to San Jose Barracuda 2021-22 Schedule
- Welcome to Cuda Country: John "Jack" Thomas McCarthy
- San Jose Barracuda Re-Sign Forward Evan Weinger
- Barracuda Hire Eric Grundfast as Director of Barracuda Business Operations