Bahrâ??s Strong Start Leads Woodies Past Red Sox
Salem, Va. - Jason Bahr (win, 1-0) was superb on the mound tonight, firing seven strong innings, leading the Wood Ducks to victory in their first road game of the year, 5-2, over Salem.
Bahr retired the first ten men he faced, ultimately working seven innings, allowing a run on two hits, he walked one, and struck out eight, and faced just two over the minimum on 70 pitches.
He took the hill with his team already in front as the Wood Ducks (8-4) got on the board in the top of the first inning. Eric Jenkins led off with a triple to right, and scored one batter later on a single over shortstop from Bubba Thompson.
Down East would add on in the middle innings against Salem (4-7) starter Daniel Gonzalez. Leody Taveras led off the fourth with a bunt single, and came around to score on a sac fly from Yohel Pozo, two batters later. Then in the fifth Ryan Dorow led off with a single up the middle and he scored on double from Jenkins, who finished a homer shy of the cycle. Melvin Novoa then singled to center to score Jenkins, making it 4-1.
Gonzalez (loss, 0-2) lasted five innings, giving up four runs on eight hits, he walked one and struck out one.
The Woodies tacked on another run in the eighth when Yanio Perez reached on an infield hit and then came into score when Novoa reached on a fielder's choice that came on a dropped fly ball in right.
Salem scored their first run in the home fourth on a walk to Victor Acosta, followed by an RBI double from Ryan Fitzgerald, who was thrown out by Perez on the play, trying to stretch it into a triple. The Red Sox struck for another run in the ninth against Alex Eubanks, who went 1.2 in relief, but Demarcus Evans (save, 2) came out of the bullpen to shut the door, picking up his second save.
Tomorrow the team's play the middle game of the three game series at 7:05 p.m. as Woodies righty Tyler Phillips (1-0, 0.00) takes the mound, opposite Salem right-hander Cutter Crawford (0-0, 2.25). The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull and online on 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Amaya, Mitchell Homer in Loss to Keys - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys Power Their Way to Victory - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Let Four-Run Lead Slip Away - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Loses Early Lead, Drops Third Straight - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Canning Homers in Debut as P-Nats Batter Hillcats - Potomac Nationals
- Bahrâ??s Strong Start Leads Woodies Past Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- April 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- April 15 Transactions & Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (April 15 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 15 vs. Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Thunderbirds Players to be in Attendance at Monday's Dash Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Robert Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Morgan Earns Carolina League Pitcher of the Week Honor - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information
- CLDS Tied 2-2 After Down East, Fayetteville Split Double-Header