B-Mets vs. Fightin Phils - Game Notes - August 15, 2013
LAST GAME: The B-Mets defeated the Reading Fightin Phils, 4-3 on Wednesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. Binghamton broke a tie game in the eighth inning with an RBI fielder's choice by Alonzo Harris. Blake Forsythe also added a solo home run in the second inning. Darin Gorski started for Binghamton, and allowed three runs on seven hits over six innings. Chasen Bradford threw a perfect seventh inning and picked up his second Double-A win of the season. Adam Kolarek threw a scoreless eighth, and Jeff Walters sealed the win with a scoreless ninth inning.
BINGHAMTON STARTER: RHP Greg Peavey throws for the fourth time for the B-Mets this season, and his first time against Reading. In his last outing, he resumed a suspended game from April 10 against Erie. He allowed two runs on five hits over 5.0 innings, and was tagged with the loss. His last start came against Harrisburg on August 2. In six innings, he did not allow a run and only gave up one single. In 15.0 innings with Binghamton, Peavey has allowed three earned runs, and a .176 batting average against. He began 2013 with Las Vegas (AAA), and threw in 38 games out of their bullpen.
READING STARTER: RHP Jonathan Pettibone makes a Major League rehab start for the Fightin Phils. He began 2013 with Lehigh Valley (AAA), and made three starts before moving up to Philadelphia (NL). With the Phillies, he went 5-4 with a 4.04 ERA in 18 starts. He has made two starts against the New York Mets, and went 1-0 while allowing four runs in 11.0 combined innings. Pettibone was placed on the disabled list on August 2 with a right shoulder strain.
BACK ON TRACK: After blowing his third save of the season on Tuesday, closer Jeff Walters returned to the mound and recorded his 34th save of the season on Wednesday. Walters leads the league in that category, and has 11 more than anyone else in the league. Walters already owns the Binghamton single-season franchise record for saves in one season. The all-time franchise leader in saves is Tim Lavigne, who had 36 saves from 02-'05, and 08.
BACK FROM THE DL: In nine games since returning from the DL, Cory Vaughn is 12-for-33 with two doubles, three home runs, 12 RBI, and six runs scored. Vaughn has had two four-RBI games since returning, and now has 43 RBI in 2013. He missed 38 games on the disabled list from June 8 - July 23 with a right elbow strain.
OH, OH IT'S MAGIC: Binghamton's magic number to clinch a playoff spot sits at 3. Their magic number to secure the Eastern Division is currently at 10. The B-Mets have not made the postseason since 2004 nor won a division title since 2000.
SWIPING BASES: Darrell Ceciliani stole his 29th base of the season in last night's win. Darrell ranks second in the league in stolen bases, trailing only Akron's Jose Ramirez who has 33 steals.
CHASEN BRADFORD: B-Met reliever Chasen Bradford earned his second Double-A victory last night after throwing a perfect seventh inning. He is 2-1 in 13 games with the B-Mets. In 16.2 innings pitched, he has a 0.54 ERA and has only allowed one earned run during that stretch.
HIGH WATER MARK: Binghamton is currently at their franchise high water mark at 29 games over .500. They have been 29 games over .500 four other times, but have lost their next game each time.
RUBBER MATCH: Thursday is the 17th rubber game for the B-Mets this season. They are 10-6 in rubber matches in 2013. They beat Reading in a rubber match at NYSEG Stadium on July 24.
NEXT GAME PREVIEW: The B-Mets return home for a three-game series on Friday night against the New Britain Rock Cats at NYSEG Stadium. This will be the first and only time this season New Britain visits Binghamton. First pitch on Friday night is set for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Thunder Win Streak Over, Sens Win 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Pettibone Back to Form in Fightins Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Bullpen Breakdown Opens Door for Squirrels in 9-6 Win over Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Jesus Takes the Wheel as Squirrels Stun Aeros Again, 9-6 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Pound Rock Cats in Finale 9-3 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rodriguez Roasts SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Offense Erupts Late in Rubber Match, 9-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Knocked Around in Front of 6,441, Lose 9-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Doyle seven scoreless, but Sea Dogs fall 3-0 in Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Take Series from Sea Dogs on Thursday - Altoona Curve
- Curve Groundskeeper Ben Young Named 2013 E.L. Diamond Pro Sports - Altoona Curve
- Altoona's Ben Young Named Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year - EL
- Outfield Prospects Mason Williams & Ben Gamel Promoted To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs vs. Curve - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Altoona Curve Game Information: August 15, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets vs. Fightin Phils - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Announce Second Annual Nutzy's Rotary Funn Run - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Just 7 Sea Dogs' Home Games Remain - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rumble Ponies & Lupo's Media Event Set for March 23
- Meet the Rumble Ponies Dinner Set for April 3
- Rumble Ponies Unveil 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Parlor City Cards & Collectibles to Sell Rumble Ponies Game-Worn Jerseys
- Ponies Cap Memorable Month with Sweep