Austin FC Acquires Colombian Defender Jhohan Romana Via Transfer from Club GuaranÃÂ
Austin, Texas - Austin FC, the 27th club in Major League Soccer (MLS), announced today that Colombian defender Jhohan Romaña will join the Club via transfer ahead of its inaugural 2021 MLS season. Terms of Romaña's transfer were not disclosed in accordance with League and Club Policy. Romaña will formally join fellow Club GuaranÃ teammates Rodney Redes and Cecilio DomÃnguez in Austin when the 2021 MLS preseason formally commences.
"Jhohan is a dynamic and versatile defender who has demonstrated his abilities playing in important national and continental competitions with GuaranÃ," commented Austin FC Sporting Director, Claudio Reyna. "At a young age, he is also a proven player who will contribute depth to the squad. We are pleased to welcome him ahead of our inaugural season."
"2020 has been a been rewarding year career wise," commented Romaña. "Joining Austin FC in 2021 means a new and positive step in my career as a professional football player and I look forward to giving my new Club my very best in every aspect."
Romaña (pronounced "Row-ma-nhya") joins Austin FC after making 19 appearances (19 starts) with Paraguay Primera División side Club GuaranÃ (2019-20). Romaña played 12 matches (11 starts) in the 2020 CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores, scoring one (1) goal in group stage play during a 3-1 away win against Club Atlético Tigre from Argentina in October 2020.
Prior to joining GuaranÃ, the Apartadó, Colombia, native spent the 2016-18 seasons with six-time Colombian Champions Independiente MedellÃn, making two (2) appearances (two (2) starts) across all competitions and helping Independiente MedellÃn win the 2016 Torneo Apertura.
Following the acquisition of Romaña, Austin FC's roster consists of:
Brady Scott (USA)
Julio Cascante (Costa Rica)
Nick Lima (USA)
Jhohan Romaña (Colombia)
Ben Sweat (USA)
Joe Corona (USA)
Hector Jimenez (USA)
Alex Ring (Finland)
Ulises Segura (Costa Rica)
Jared Stroud (USA)
Cecilio DomÃnguez (Paraguay)
Jon Gallagher (Ireland)
Danny Hoesen (Netherlands)
Rodney Redes (Paraguay)
Transaction: Austin FC acquires Jhohan Romaña via transfer from Club GuaranÃ on December 22, 2020.
Jhohan Romaña Player Details
Name:â¯Jhohan Romaña (pronounced "Row-ma-nhya")
Born: September 13, 1998
Birthplace: Apartadó, Colombia
CLUB YEAR MATCHES GOALS
Club GuaranÃ 2019-20 19 0
Independiente MedellÃn 2016-18 1 0
TOTAL 20 0
CUP AND NATIONAL TEAM STATISTICS
CONMEBOL COPA LIBERTADORES YEAR MATCHES GOALS
Club GuaranÃ 2020 12 1
TOTAL 12 1
COPA COLOMBIA YEAR MATCHES GOALS
Independiente MedellÃn 2016 1 0
TOTAL 1 0
TROPHIES YEAR TITLE
Independiente MedellÃn 2016 Torneo Apertura
Statistics source: MLSsoccer.com / Soccerway
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 22, 2020
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Midfielder Tommy McNamara - New England Revolution
- Five MLS Clubs Acquire Players in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process on Tuesday - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Select Midfielder Joe Corona in Stage Two of MLS Re-Entry Process - Houston Dynamo FC
- D.C. United Appoint Danita Johnson as President of Business Operations - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Signs French Midfielder Remi Walter - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Defender Walker Zimmerman Engages Fans During a Visit to Community Center - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas Acquires Jader Obrian from Rionegro Aguilas - FC Dallas
- MLS Eligible Player List Announced for Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process, Today - MLS
- Atlanta United Signs Free Agent Defender Mikey Ambrose - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Colombian Defender Jhohan Romana Via Transfer from Club GuaranÃÂ - Austin FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic
- Austin FC Names Alex Ring as Club Captain Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season
- the CW Austin, KXAN-TV, KBVO-TV and Austin FC Announce English Language Television Channel Assignments
- Austin FC Medical Update - Aaron Schoenfeld