NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Attack Come up Short in Shootout vs 67s

September 22, 2019 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Owen Sound Attack News Release

The Owen Sound Attack kicked off their campaign on what felt like a warm summer day at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. In town were the defending Eastern Conference Champions the Ottawa 67s. Both teams have their sets sight on finishing in the top half of the league this season, and the Barber Poles looked like a solid litmus test for an up and coming Attack team.

Owen Sound had the early chances, outshooting Ottawa 7-0 in the opening minutes of the game after a power play opportunity. The Attack capitalized 8 minutes in after Stepan Machacek bounced a puck in off an Ottawa defender for his first career OHL goal. It wasn't the prettiest goal, but they all count the same and the 16-year-old import was off to a flying start. The Bears had a few more power play opportunities in the first but couldn't beat Cedrick Andree and would head to the dressing room after 20 up 1-0 and leading in shots 14-6.

Returning for the second frame, the Attack hoped to extend their lead over the 67s. Owen Sound got into penalty trouble early in the period and Ottawa were able to capitalize on the 5 on 3, with Marco Rossi scoring his second of the season. After his penalty expired, Carter Robertson raced down the ice to collect a pass from Ethan Burroughs, made a nifty move and put it in the back of the net for his first of the season and Burroughs' second assist of the night. The 67s added another goal just before the halfway mark of the period and it would remain 2-2 after 40.

The Attack began the third on the penalty kill, but after some solid defensive work the two teams were back on equal footing. After a solid drive to the net, Kaleb Pearson was slashed and drew the man advantage for the home side. Daylon Groulx poked home a rebound on the ensuing play and once again the Attack were back in front with 11:58 remaining. After a late penalty to the Attack with just over 5 minutes to play, the 67s once again capitalized on the man advantage and tied things at 3. Things would remain even at the end of regulation and Owen Sound would earn a point in their first game of the season.

Overtime began with Ottawa controlling possession of the puck and peppering Mack Guzda with shots. After some heroics to keep the game tied, Guzda got to breath easier as overtime expired and both teams prepared for the shootout. Brady Lyle went first for the Attack and made a nifty move past Andree to give the Attack an early advantage. Marco Rossi went next for Ottawa and equalized the shootout. Aidan Dudas was denied on his next attempt and Graeme Clarke made no mistake firing it past Guzda. Popov needed to score but he was denied by the Ottawa netminder and the Attack fell in a shootout, 4-3.

The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game was Barret Kirwin. The Owen Sound Bug Juice North Stars Three Stars were Ethan Burroughs, Austen Keating and

The Owen Sound Attack will be back in action next Thursday against the Barrie Colts. You can hear the game on 560 CFOS Bear Radio and watch the game on Rogers Grey County Channel 53. The Attack return to home ice next Saturday for a home date against the OHL Champion Guelph Storm.

• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...

Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central