Atlanta United Unveils "Star & Stripes" Kit for 2019
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today unveiled its new primary kit for the 2019 season at an event for season ticket members at Mercedes-Benz Stadium Friday night. Hosted by Men in Blazers' Roger Bennett, the event culminated by the unveil of the new "Star & Stripes" kit, featuring a gold championship star above the team's crest to symbolize the 2018 MLS Cup Championship. American Family Insurance continues as the official kit sponsor of Atlanta United.
VIEW: Kit graphics and unveil event assets for media use
"We're truly excited about the 'Star & Stripes' kit as it blends our iconic stripes alongside a championship star, something we're proud to have accomplished in just our second season," Atlanta United Club President Darren Eales said. "While the star represents what we've already accomplished, the kit also shows a glimpse of what's to come. We're just as eager as our supporters for our third season to begin, starting with our club making its debut in Concacaf Champions League next week."
Bennett hosted an hourlong program that featured guest speakers Arthur Blank, President Darren Eales, head coach Frank de Boer, as well as Atlanta United players Brad Guzan, Michael Parkhurst, Josef Martinez and Pity Martinez. The unveil featured both Josef and Pity Martinez, as well as Atlanta United Unified player Antonio Guzman, rapper Fabo and season ticket member Erin Prentice.
"I love the jersey. The star and the stripes celebrate what we have accomplished, as the 2018 MLS Cup Champions," Josef Martinez said. "We earned it together and we play for you, Atlanta."
Atlanta United's new jersey is constructed of newly Engineered Vertical Striped Fabric making it the most progressive on the market while still maintaining top-of-the-line performance. As with previous jerseys, the new primary kit will be made with Adidas Climacool technology, which battles the heat with breathable, quick-dry fabrics, so the players stay cool and dry.
The front of the jersey features the club's iconic stripes in victory red and black. The stripes stand for what the club will conquer as it continues to redefine history. The new gold championship star is found above the club's crest, featuring the classic 5-stripe design behind the gold "A". The "17" mark along the jock tag of the jersey represents the "17's"- fans who helped break every attendance record in MLS Regular Season, MLS Cup Playoffs and MLS All-Star history.
The back of the jersey is made of a black mesh panel, with the iconic stripes continuing around the bottom. The players' names and numbers will be featured in metallic gold, while the Atlanta United wordmark is featured on the back collar. The shorts are black and accented with victory red stripes. In addition, the socks are red and accented with a black ATL UTD wordmark across the front.
Finally, the new kit is the first in league history to make use of Augmented Reality technology, bringing fans even closer to the club. Through the Atlanta United app, fans can scan the various logos on the jersey to access exclusive content and experiences. Content and features will be updated throughout the 2019 season.
Atlanta United opens its 2019 season in Concacaf Champions League against C.S. Herediano on Thursday, Feb. 21. The team opens MLS Regular Season at D.C. United on Sunday, March 3.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 15, 2019
- Atlanta United Unveils "Star & Stripes" Kit for 2019 - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivaic Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair Left Tibial Stress Fracture - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Cup Returns to Orange County Great Park - LA Galaxy
- Impact Takes on Philadelphia Union Saturday Afternoon at Al Lang Stadium - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Bring Back MLS All-Star Striker Fredy Montero - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact to Visit Schools in 14th Edition of All the Way with the Impact Program - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Loans Tommy McCabe to North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Four Atlanta United Players Called-Up for Youth National Teams
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Philadelphia Union
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 1-0 to Louisville City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Players Receive MLS Cup Championship Rings