Atlanta United Signs Veteran Defender Edgar Castillo
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced it has signed defender Edgar Castillo. The left back is a 13-year professional and a two-time champion of Liga MX where he played more than a decade before moving to MLS in 2018.
"Edgar is a veteran left back with experience in Liga MX, MLS and on the international level," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "Few American players have been as successful in Mexico as Edgar has and we're pleased to have added him to the roster."
Castillo, 33, is a native of Las Cruces, New Mexico and began his professional career with Santos Laguna in 2006, later winning the Liga MX Clausura title in 2008. Following three years with Santos, he transferred to Club América in 2009. During his time with América, Castillo had loan spells with Tigres, San Luis, Puebla and Tijuana before he joined Xolos permanently in 2012. He won his second league title in 2012 with Tijuana and amassed 94 appearances over three years.
Castillo also played for Atlas from 2014-15 and Monterrey from 2015-19 where he lifted the Copa MX title in 2017. In Liga MX, he played 341 games across all competitions for eight different clubs.
He then joined Colorado Rapids on loan for the 2018 MLS season where he made 28 appearances, scored three goals and recorded five assists. Castillo signed with New England Revolution ahead of the 2019 season and made 20 appearances while dishing out five assists.
Internationally, Castillo first represented the Mexican National Team in 2007 and 2008 where he made three friendly appearances. Under new FIFA regulations, he was allowed to make a one-time national team change and was cleared to play for the United States in 2009. Castillo has 18 appearances for the U.S. Men's National Team including six World Cup Qualifying appearances.
Name: Edgar Castillo
Birthdate: Oct. 8, 1986 (age: 33)
Birthplace: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Nationality: USA and Mexico
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Edgar Castillo on Jan. 17, 2020.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 17, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen**, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes,
Midfielders (8): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Julian Gressel, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi
Forwards (4): Lagos Kunga, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2020
- Philadelphia Union and Bimbo Bakeries USA Unveil Artesano Bakery Bread Brand as Away Jersey Logo - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Place Fanendo Adi, Jimmy Hague on Waivers - FC Cincinnati
- Know Before You Go: Kit Reveal Party Presented by Renasant Bank - Nashville SC
- Pressure Hardened Gallese Ready to Make MLS Impact - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $75,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Product Mauricio Pineda - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Acquires Peruvian Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese - Orlando City SC
- Midfielder Allan Cruz, Defender Mathieu Deplagne Become U.S. Permanent Residents - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Head Coach Adrian Heath - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Colombian Winger Cristian Dajome Via Transfer from Bogota FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Signs Veteran Defender Edgar Castillo - Atlanta United FC
- Impact to Play Five Preseason Games in Florida - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Sebastian Berhalter - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Unveils Official Training Ground at Ribbon Cutting Ceremony - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder James Musa - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Kevin Paredes - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua 1-1 in Leg One of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- Atlanta United Signs Phillip Goodrum to Short-Term Agreement
- Atlanta United Promotes Liam Curran to First Team Goalkeeper Coach
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua
- Two Atlanta United Academy Players to Represent US U-17s to Kick off 2020-21 Cycle