Atlanta United Signs Jake Mulraney from Heart of Midlothian F.C.
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed Jake Mulraney via transfer from Heart of Midlothian F.C. The 23-year old has played in Scotland for the last four seasons, with the last two coming in the Scottish Premiership with Hearts. He will be added to the roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"We're excited to add another quality attacking player to our club in Jake," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "He's a direct player with a lot of pace who can play anywhere across the front three. As he's in the middle of a season, Jake will be able to get up to full fitness quickly and immediately compete."
Mulraney has played his entire career in England and Scotland. The Dublin, Ireland native spent two years in the Nottingham Forest academy before signing his first professional contract with Queens Park Rangers in 2014. In October 2015, he was loaned out to Dagenham & Redbridge FC and made his professional debut for the club in a Football League Trophy match. He scored his first professional goal on April 16, 2016 while on loan with League Two side Stevenage FC in a 2-1 victory against Newport County.
In the summer of 2016, Mulraney made the move to Scotland where he signed with Inverness Caledonian Thistle of the Scottish Premiership. He made 32 total appearances in his first season, with 26 of those coming in the league. He had two assists in League Cup action that season. The following season, Mulraney made 32 appearances for Inverness, scoring three goals and adding three assists across all competitions.
The former Irish youth international then made the move to Hearts. He came on strong in the second half of the 2018-19 season, making 12 starts in the final 16 games of the season. He scored his first goal for the club on May 19, 2019 against Celtic. This season, he has been a fixture in midfield with 17 appearances, scoring one goal and adding five assists in all competitions. He had three assists in five matches of Hearts' 2019 League Cup run that ended in the semifinal against Rangers.
Name: Jake Mulraney
Birthdate: Apr. 5, 1996 (age: 23)
Birthplace: Dublin, Ireland
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Jake Mulraney from Heart of Midlothian F.C. on Jan. 23, 2020.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 23, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen***, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (8): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Jake Mulraney, Eric Remedi
Forwards (5): Adam Jahn, Lagos Kunga**, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - on loan with Phoenix Rising
*** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 23, 2020
- Pareja Era Begins as Lions Launch 2020 Preseason - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Gadi Kinda - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC's Randall Leal Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Players Gianfranco Facchineri and Patrick Metcalfe to MLS Homegrown Contracts - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Partners with America's VetDogs to Raise Future Service Dog 'Spike' - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC Sign Jayden Nelson - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Ardent Credit Union - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Signs Jake Mulraney from Heart of Midlothian F.C. - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC