Atlanta United Signs Fernando Meza
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed defender Fernando Meza via transfer from Club Tijuana using Targeted Allocation Money. He will occupy an international roster slot and be added to Atlanta's roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"Fernando is an athletic, ball-playing center back who immediately strengthens our defense," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "He brings more than a decade of top-flight experience in Argentina, Chile and Mexico and will be a veteran presence for our backline."
Meza, 29, joins Atlanta United with 12 years of professional experience in Argentina, Chile and Mexico. He most recently played for Necaxa in 2019 where he made 39 appearances across all competitions.
The center back is a native of San MartÃn, Argentina and started his career in San Lorenzo's youth academy. He was signed to the senior team in 2008 and made his professional debut against Boca Juniors on March 11. Meza played seven years with San Lorenzo while spending time on-loan with Olimpo and Chilean Club San Marcos.
Meza transferred to Palestino of Chile in 2015 where he made 23 appearances in league play. He then moved to Necaxa in July 2016 where he made 13 appearances across the Apertura and Clausura campaigns and scored one goal. Meza returned to Chile to play for Colo-Colo in January 2017 where he made 22 appearances in all competitions and won the Primera DivisiÃ³n and the Supercopa de Chile. The Argentine again returned to Necaxa in January 2019.
Name: Fernando Meza
Birthdate: March 21, 1990 (age: 29)
Birthplace: San MartÃn, Argentina
Previous club: Club Tijuana
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Fernando Meza using TAM on Jan. 10, 2020
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 10, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (9): George Bello, George Campbell, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen**, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (8): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Julian Gressel, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi
Forwards (4): Lagos Kunga, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2020
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Permanent Transfer for Jamiro Monteiro; Midfielder Agrees to New Long-Term Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Signs Fernando Meza - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United transfers Leandro Gonzalez Pirez to Club Tijuana - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Signs Defender Amadou Dia - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Announces Inaugural "One Nashville Under Gold" Flag Project - Nashville SC
- Six Academy Players Invited to Training Camp - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Announce Staffing Updates for 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Promotes Mehdi Ballouchy to Assistant Coach - New York City FC
- Dynamo Supporters Groups Unite as Hustle Town Supporters - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua 1-1 in Leg One of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- Atlanta United Signs Phillip Goodrum to Short-Term Agreement
- Atlanta United Promotes Liam Curran to First Team Goalkeeper Coach
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua
- Two Atlanta United Academy Players to Represent US U-17s to Kick off 2020-21 Cycle