Atlanta United Signs Brad Guzan to Contract Extension
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today that it has signed goalkeeper Brad Guzan to a multiyear contract extension that will keep him under contract through the 2023 season.
"Brad has been one of the top goalkeepers in MLS since joining our team in the summer of 2017 and we are pleased to have agreed to a long-term contract extension," said Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra. "Brad epitomizes the type of professional player we want at Atlanta United, and as a key member of the U.S. Men's National Team, we hope to see him represent our club at the 2022 FIFA World Cup. He's thoroughly deserved this extension and we look forward to him anchoring our team for years to come."
Guzan joined Atlanta upon the start of Major League Soccer's secondary transfer window on July 10, 2017 after a nine-year career in England with Aston Villa, Hull City and Middlesbrough. Since 2017, the Illinois native has started 98 matches in all competitions for Atlanta (81 MLS regular season, nine MLS Cup playoffs, four Concacaf Champions League, four U.S. Open Cup) and won MLS Cup, U.S. Open Cup and Campeones Cup titles.
Guzan started 45 matches across all competitions in 2019 and played every MLS minute, finishing with an 18-12-4 record. Those 18 victories were tied for the league lead and he set a new single-season franchise record with 14 clean sheets, which also was tied for the league lead in 2019. His play was crucial as Atlanta set a new MLS record with five consecutive shutout victories from 4/27 - 5/15. The keeper produced 91 saves, had a 1.26 GAA, saved 67.4 percent of the shots he faced and was voted to the MLS All-Star team for the second straight season. In 2018 Guzan made 33 starts and posted 20 victories, which set a new single-season best mark for the veteran keeper and ranks tied for third-most in MLS history.
Internationally, Guzan has been capped by the United States Men's National Team 64 times, making his debut Feb. 19, 2006 in a friendly against Guatemala. He has been a part of the USMNT squad for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, 2007 and 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cups, as well as the 2007 Copa America and 2016 Copa America Centenario, where he was the starting keeper. In the Copa America Centenario, Guzan helped lead the USMNT to the semifinals where they lost to the eventual runners-up Argentina.
TRANSACTION: Brad Guzan signs multiyear contract extension through 2023 on Feb. 10, 2020.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Feb. 10, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen****, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (9): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton***, Luiz Fernando, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Jake Mulraney, Eric Remedi, Matheus Rossetto
Forwards (4): Adam Jahn, Lagos Kunga**, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - on loan with Phoenix Rising
*** - on loan with Indy Eleven
**** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 10, 2020
- Impact and Ignacio Piatti Agree to the Termination of His Contract - Montreal Impact
- This Week in Preseason: Week Four Preview - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: February 10, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Open 2020 Preseason Schedule against LA Galaxy - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party at Tom's Watch Bar for February 29 Opening Match in Houston - LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United Signs Brad Guzan to Contract Extension - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Forward Christopher Garcia - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC Earns Preseason Win with Four-Goal Performance vs. Louisville City FC - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas Midfielder Bryan Acosta Underwent Successful Appendectomy - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Begin Small Group Training on Monday
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto Win eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United Training Update: May 11
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto advance to Championship Sunday of eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United players return to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground for individual workouts