Atlanta United Foundation Launches GA 100 Campaign to Build up to 100 Mini-Soccer Pitches Throughout Georgia
The Atlanta United Foundation and Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) have launched GA 100, a campaign to create 100 mini-pitches across Georgia before the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The first four sites have been chosen, and the Atlanta United Foundation is now seeking applications for the next round of grants.
The Atlanta United Foundation has awarded $1.5 million to LISC to lead installation of the first 20 mini-pitches across the state. With this funding, LISC - the nation's leading community development support organization - will identify local, nonprofit and community-based agencies wishing to build or refurbish mini-pitch fields at schools, neighborhood parks and other recreation spaces in underserved Georgia neighborhoods. The local organizations will receive financing and technical assistance to improve the quality and safety of mini-pitch fields in their communities. The organizations will then oversee the construction, maintenance and programming of the fields.
This year marked the first phase of GA 100 grants, with awards totaling $292,500 going to:
The Bainbridge Decatur County Recreation Authority, in Bainbridge, which will use its $75,000 grant to help build a mini-pitch field at the Bill Reynolds Sports Complex.
Cherokee Youth Foundation, in Canton, whose $75,000 grant will build a field at Harmon Field Park in the Sunnyside neighborhood.
Coastal Outreach Soccer, in Brunswick, which will use a $67,500 grant to build a futsal court at Howard Coffin Park.
Sweetwater Mission, in Austell, which will use its $75,000 grant to build a mini-pitch field at South Cobb Pocket Park.
"One of the main goals of the Atlanta United Foundation is to bring soccer to communities that have no access to the sport," said Rodrigo Rios, Atlanta United Academy Coach and Associate Committee Member, The Atlanta United Foundation. "The GA 100 project allows us to create soccer-specific spaces where entire communities, from young kids to adults, from different walks of life, can enjoy the benefits of playing soccer. We are really happy to be part of a project that will include more people across the state in the sport."
The second phase of GA 100 will include grants for 16 mini-pitches in Georgia communities. Community organizations, schools, and parks and recreation departments across the state can apply for grants of up to $75,000. The grants require a minimum community local match of one dollar for every GA 100 dollar (1:1) up to $75,000.
The mini-pitch fields, once built, will include field surface improvements, goals, fencing and lighting. GA 100 grants are issued once established funding thresholds are reached for each project.
"The Atlanta United Foundation's soccer expertise coupled with LISC's community development experience makes for a highly effective partnership to propel mini-pitch construction in Georgia neighborhoods that need recreational facilities," said Beverly Smith, LISC's vice president of Sports & Recreation. "The GA 100 grants will benefit youth and families throughout the state."
Requests for proposals from communities for the second phase of GA 100 grants will be accepted beginning October 1, 2020. The deadline for proposal submissions is April 1, 2021. For more information, visit GA 100.
Beverly Smith-Vice President, LISC Sports & Recreation
Abby Lutzenkirchen-Program Associate, The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation
Marissa Ahrens-Manager, Community Relations, Atlanta United
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 30, 2020
- Orlando City SC Bench Boss OScar Pareja Moving up the Charts: MLS Week 15 News & Notes - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Albert Rusnak Called to Slovakian National Team - Real Salt Lake
- New York Red Bulls Host FIFA $5K Faceoff to Celebrate Launch of FIFA 21 - New York Red Bulls
- By the Numbers: the Streak Continues - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 30, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids' Postponed Match against Sporting Kansas City Rescheduled for October 21 - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Match at Colorado Rescheduled for October 21 - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta United Foundation Launches GA 100 Campaign to Build up to 100 Mini-Soccer Pitches Throughout Georgia - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United announces Gabriel Heinze's technical staff
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying
- Atlanta United Season Ticket Members to Receive Complimentary Access to RedTV International Platform
- Atlanta United Signs Free Agent Defender Mikey Ambrose