Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ USL, NWSL and MLS
As the boys in Old Glory Red aim for a fifth straight win, the action in MLS continues to heat up while NWSL is just days away from returning to play
On Wednesday, Republic FC will be gunning for a fifth victory from five consecutive fixtures when the boys in Old Glory Red visit Portland to take on Timbers 2.
While T2 is still in search of its first point in 2020, Mark Briggs' men are looking to keep pace with Reno 1868 FC for the top spot in Group A. Sacramento currently sits in second place with 18 points from nine matches while 1868 FC have notched 21 points from nine. Reno earned an impressive 2-1 victory over Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday by way of a late Corey Hertzog strike in the 79th minute.
Rising FC still sits at the summit of Group B with 20 points - five points above both LA Galaxy II and Orange County SC battling to keep up with Phoenix. Los Dos downed Las Vegas Lights FC over the weekend 4-3 while OCSC played to a 0-0 draw against San Diego Loyal SC. Both SoCal rivals are set to clash on Wednesday night in Irvine.
Group C still sees New Mexico United at the top while El Paso Locomotive FC's dramatic 2-1 win over Real Monarchs on Saturday helped to separate the Texan club from the rest of the pack. Another Texan club with playoffs on the mind is San Antonio FC with an 11-point lead in Group D while Austin Bold FC and FC Tulsa appear to be the two clubs to battle it out for second place and are set to go head-to-head on Saturday in Austin.
In the east, the Group E race is heating up with Indy Eleven still holding on to a narrow two-point lead at the top with Louisville City FC only two points behind with 17. Saint Louis FC's 15 points and even Sporting Kansas City II with 13 are still very much alive for a playoff spot. Saint Louis will host KCII on Friday night while Louisville visits Indy the following day.
In Group F, Pittsburgh's 3-0 win over Hartford Athletic gave Riverhounds SC a six-point gap at the top but Hartford still has three games in hand. Birmingham Legion FC's 4-1 win over Charlotte Independence helped solidify their place in first in Group G and despite the results Independence maintains a five-point lead over third place North Carolina FC. Tampa Bay Rowdies now have Charleston Battery hot on their tail for first in Group H after Battery collected four straight wins including a 1-0 win over the Floridian club on Saturday.
NWSL Just Days Away
After the groups were announced last week, NWSL fans only have to wait until this weekend for the clubs to return to the pitch following a successful Challenge Cup in Utah.
The opening match will see Sky Blue FC take on Washington Spirit in Virginia and will be nationally televised with kickoff set for 10 a.m. PT. The fall series will include 18 total games over a seven-week span featuring three, three-team groups. Each team will play a total of four games, two games each against their fellow group opponents.
Northeast: Washington Spirit, Chicago Red Stars, Sky Blue FC
West: Portland Thorns, Utah Royals, OL Reign
South: North Carolina Courage, Houston Dash, Orlando Pride
Goals Galore in MLS
Another weekend of intense action from the top domestic league was in full force including an eight-goal thriller with three goals scored in the last five minutes of regulation or later. There's been no shortage of drama in MLS this season and Portland hosting Real Salt Lake on Saturday proved exactly that. Timbers took a 4-2 lead at home in the 85th minute and just when the game seemed out of reach, that's when it got wild. A Giuseppe Rossi 90th minute goal and a last-gasp equalizer in the 94th minute by Sam Johnson saw RSL claw its way back to earn a point in Oregon.
The California Clasico saw an inspiring comeback as well on Saturday as LA Galaxy trailed 2-1 with less than 20 minutes to play before a Cristian Pavon penalty kick and a Sebastian Lletget goal in the 82nd minute secured LA the win over heated in-state rivals San Jose Earthquakes.
Two goals in two minutes for Jordan Morris helped to guide his side to a 3-1 win over LAFC while Nashville SC's second half strike from Anibal Godoy was all it took to deal Inter Miami a loss in the Music City.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 1, 2020
- Hounds Victorious against Loudoun, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Around the Leagues Ã¢ÂÂ USL, NWSL and MLS - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal Signs Trio of Players Through 2020 Season - San Diego Loyal
- Charlotte Independence V Memphis 901: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. North Carolina FC - Wednesday, September 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Orange County SC Loans Thomas Enevoldsen to Horbro IK - Orange County SC
- Union II Matches Rescheduled - Philadelphia Union II
- Matches against Philadelphia Union II Rescheduled - Hartford Athletic
- OC Play Host Los Dos in Tight Playoff Race - Orange County SC
- Brett, Parker, Servania All Named to USL Championship's Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Charlotte Independence and Heal Charlotte Team up for Successful First Community Clinic - Charlotte Independence
- Billy Forbes Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Philadelphia Union II - Atlanta United 2
- Christian Volesky Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Pittsburgh's Ryan James earns Player of the Week after standout display against Hartford - USL
- Corey Hertzog Named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: RGV FC Looking Ahead to Wednesday Night at FC Tulsa - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense
- Republic FC to Celebrate Giving Season with Winter Wishlist Benefiting Students & Families in Need
- Around the Leagues: Jam Packed Weekend Full of Football