Argos Sign Two Americans to Practice Roster; DB Dowling & DL Opara
TORONTO - The Toronto Argonauts announced today the club has signed American DB Jonathan Dowling and American DL Kinglsey Opara to the practice roster.
Dowling, 27, appeared in six games for the Double Blue in 2018, adding 11 defensive tackles and one special teams tackle. The Florida native was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the seventh round of the 2014 NFL Draft playing in seven games and recording four tackles that season. Over the next three years the 6'3, 190-pound defensive back spent time with the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills.
The Western Kentucky product played 23 games over two seasons for the Hilltoppers piling up 127 tackles, six forced fumbles and nine interceptions on his way to being named First Team All-Sun Belt both years. Previous to his time in Kentucky, Dowling played at the University of Florida.
Opara, 24, was signed by Toronto in January and spent training camp with the club but was injured and released as part of final cuts. Previously the defensive tackle spent time with the Houston Texans of the NFL after being signed as an undrafted free agent in May of 2018. The native of Jacksonville, Florida spent the entire pre-season with the Texans before being waived prior to the start of the NFL season in September.
The 6'3, 300-pounder spent five seasons at the University of Maryland (2013-2017). In 36 games played for the Terrapins, Opara compiled 83 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, one fumble recovery and one forced fumble. Opara's Junior season proved to be his breakout year after totaling 41 tackles, three sacks and ranking second on the team with 11.5 tackles for loss from the interior of the defensive line.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from June 27, 2019
- Tiger-Cats Renew Youth Movement Game Day Program, Presented by LiUNA, for 2019 Season - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Roughriders Hold Annual General Meeting - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- CFL Goes Red and White to Honour Canada Day - CFL
- Argos Sign Two Americans to Practice Roster; DB Dowling & DL Opara - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- Toronto Argonauts to Host You Can Play Night at BMO Field Tonight
- Argos Trade DE Shawn Lemon to B.C. for DT Davon Coleman & a Conditonal 2020 Eighth-Round Draft Pick
- Argos Bethel-Thompson Named CFL's Top Performer for Week 8
- Argos Trade for Veteran QB Zach Collaros
- Argos Sign Veteran Lb Bear Woods to Practice Roster