Andre Ingram Gifts Santa Cruz a Loss in Closing Seconds
EL SEGUNDO - Andre Ingram came to the rescue for the South Bay Lakers as he hit a running floater with seconds left to give his team the 120-119 win over the Santa Cruz Warriors on Friday night. Ingram scored 24 points and hit 6-of-7 from three-point range to give the Lakers (7-8) the last-second victory. Kendrick Nunn and Alen Smailagic combined for 50 points but couldn't give the Warriors (10-3) the win.
Travis Wear came out on fire for South Bay, scoring 15 points in the first quarter to give the Lakers a 37-32 lead through one. The Lakers shot a single-quarter, season-high 76.2 percent from the field in the opening frame. The Warriors inched closer at the half, 60-58, but 10 points from Scott Machado in the second helped the Lakers maintain the lead.
Ingram heated up in the third quarter, hitting a couple of threes, as South Bay led by four, 91-87, going into the final period. Ingram and Machado combined for 18 points in the fourth and Ingram's floater with two seconds remaining gave the Lakers the win.
Smailagic's double-double (25 points, 12 rebounds) and Nunn's 25 points off the bench paced the Warriors. Antonius Cleveland finished with 20 points, eight rebounds, four assists, three steals and two blocks. Damion Lee (18 points) and Will Cherry (15 points) also finished in double figures for Santa Cruz.
Wear scored a game-high 27 points, Ingram finished with 24 points and Machado pitched in a double-double with 25 points and 10 assists off the bench. Johnathan Williams scored 13 points along with six rebounds and four assists, while Jemerrio Jones stuffed the box score with five points, eight rebounds, six assists, three steals and two blocks. Justin Harper scored nine points off the bench in his season debut.
South Bay will play the second game of their back-to-back tomorrow night against the Erie BayHawks at 5:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 8, 2018
- Maten, Skyforce Stay Hot in Win over Legends - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Maten Heats up Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Fall to Memphis Hustle 120-106 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Take Down Spurs for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Sampson Records First Double-Double of Season, But Windy City Falls 101-91 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- South Bay Ruffles Erie's Feathers for Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
- Oklahoma City Stuns Westchester in Final Minute - Oklahoma City Blue
- Swarm Complete Comeback Victory over Delaware - Greensboro Swarm
- Charge Corral Bulls - Canton Charge
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Skyforce Acquire Jarnell Stokes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Returning Player Rights to Walt Lemon Jr. - Windy City Bulls
- Mad Ants Acquire Rights for Alex Hamilton and 2019 Draft Pick from Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Third Loss of Season to the South Bay Lakers, 120-119 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Andre Ingram Gifts Santa Cruz a Loss in Closing Seconds - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.