Amerks Defeat Crunch 4-1 in Preseason Finale
(Rochester, NY) ... The Rochester Americans concluded their 2018 preseason with a 4-1 victory over the North Division rival Syracuse Crunch at the Gene Polisseni Center on the campus of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).
Eric Cornel and rookie newcomer Andrew Oglevie each tallied a goal and an assist for a multi-point effort to lead the Amerks to their second victory of the three-game preseason schedule. C.J. Smith and Dalton Smith rounded out the scoring as netminder Scott Wedgewood made his unofficial Amerk debut as he stopped 29 of 30 shots he faced on the evening.
Taylor Raddysh spoiled Wedgewood's bid for a shutout as he scored the lone Crunch goal while goaltender Eddie Pasquale took the loss in Syracuse's exhibition opener.
Following a scoreless opening period, the Amerks tallied a pair of goals on their only two shots during the second stanza and took the 2-0 lead into the intermission.
C.J. Smith lit the lamp from an odd-angle shot to give Rochester a 1-0 lead at the 6:39 mark before Dalton redirected Wayne Simpson's point shot with nearly five minutes left in the frame.
"It feels good to contribute offensively," Dalton Smith said. "I know my role on the team to finish my checks and be an energy-guy, but it is good to find the back of the net by just going to the net."
Cornel upped the Amerks lead to 3-0 with 13:13 left in regulation as he buried a rebound from Oglevie and Zach Redmond.
"It was my third preseason game," said Cornel. "I am starting to get my legs under me, but it was good to see our team come together against a team who we will be playing a lot of the course of the season."
The Crunch pulled Pasquale despite facing a three-goal deficit inside the final two and a half minutes left in the contest and trimmed the Rochester lead with 55 seconds left.
After the goal, Syracuse pulled the netminder yet again, but Cornel scooped up the puck in-between the hash marks and slid a pass to Oglevie to seal the 4-1 win.
"It was a slow start for us but I thought we got better as the game went on," said Amerks head coach Chris Taylor. "We did not have our best first two periods but Wedgewood played well and stood tall then in the third. He played really well."
Rochester opens its 63rd American Hockey League season at home on Friday, Oct. 5 against the Charlotte Checkers at The Blue Cross Arena. Amerks 2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $12 per game, are on-sale now. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and Chalk Talk with the Amerks coaching staff, your very own Season Ticket Member ID and Discount Card and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com/seasontickets or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
ROC: C.J. Smith, Dalton Smith, Cornel, Oglevie
ROC: Wedgewood - 29/30 (W)
SYR: Pasquale - 19/22 (L)
ROC: PP (0/2) | PK (4/4)
SYR: PP (0/4) | PK (2/2)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 30, 2018
- Parsons Stops 45 Shots as Heat Fall in Preseason Finale - Stockton Heat
- Callahan Scores Twice; Condors Sweep Preseason, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Defeat Crunch 4-1 in Preseason Finale - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Go Perfect in Preseason with 3-2 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Drop Preseason Finale to Pens, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Topped by Amerks, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Rally Late vs. Providence, Look Ahead to Regular Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Admirals Release Three, Assign One - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Trim Preseason Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas and Texas Make Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Moose Reduce Roster by Eight Players - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Reduce Roster to 22 Players Ahead of Friday's Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Rangers Assign Brandon Crawley to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Eagles Add Experience with Forward Cody Bass - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Host Preseason Party at Stockton Arena Today at 5PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Trim Training Camp Roster to 24 - Belleville Senators
- Red Wings Assign Six to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Update Training Camp Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Colorado Sends Four to Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign 12 Players to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Late Third Period Goals Steal Victory from Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Sikura, Delia Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fall to Eagles 4-2 in Preseason Finale - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Concludes Preseason with 4-2 Win over Barracuda - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Blanked by Crunch 1-0, Drop Third Straight
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 23 against Belleville
- Amerks Drop 5-2 Decision to Monsters
- Kids Day Game Presented by 529 College Savings Program Set for Sunday, February 17
- Amerks Recall Powell from Cincinnati