American Association Rookie of the Year, Robert Coe, Re-Signs with Saints
ST. PAUL, MN (March 25, 2013) - Like a wealthy man at an exquisite restaurant St. Paul Saints starting pitcher Robert Coe chose one of everything off the menu last season: American Association Rookie of the Year, Baseball America's eighth best prospect in Independent Baseball, franchise records for innings pitched and games started while tying the single-season franchise wins mark and had his contract purchased by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Coe, one of the top pitchers in the league, will once again don a Saints uniform as the Saints re-signed their ace from last season.
The 25-year-old Coe went 12-5 with a 2.91 ERA in 22 games (21 starts) with two complete games and a shutout last season. In 139.1 innings he walked 59 while striking out 87 and opponents hit just .240 against him. He finished tied for second in the league in wins and games started and third in ERA. He set the franchise record for innings pitched, surpassing Charlie Ruud's (2007) record of 138.2, and games started, which was held by five different pitchers who had 20 starts. He tied the franchise record of 12 wins, which he holds with four other players, Jim Manfred (1996), Jake Whitney (2002), Kevin Foster (2003) and Ruud (2008). His 2.91 ERA was ninth best in franchise history.
Coe's season was filled with honors for his impressive work earning Pitcher of the Month for July going 6-0 with a 2.64 ERA and one complete game in eight starts. In 58.0 innings of work Coe walked 20 while striking out 40 and opponents hit just .235 against him. He had a string of 17.1 consecutive scoreless innings.
During the week of July 2-8, Coe earned the Pitcher of the Week for his outing on July 6 against the Lincoln Saltdogs. He tossed his first professional 9.0 inning complete game. Coe threw 113 pitches, 69 for strikes and after the first inning he didn't allow a runner into scoring position. Coe allowed one run on six hits while walking two and striking out a career high eight.
Prior to this season Coe pitched just 12.1 innings at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and that came in 2011 during his senior year. He went 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA and two saves. He was signed by the Saints on June 21, 2011 and went 3-1 with a 4.93 ERA in 18 games (one start). His finest appearance of the season came in Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs when he allowed one run in 6.0 innings against the Winnipeg Goldeyes.
During the off-season the Saints have signed 11 players, eight pitchers and three position players. The Saints 2013 season begins on Thursday, May 16 with a 7:05 p.m. home game against the New Jersey Jackals.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from March 25, 2013
- Laredo Lemurs Release 2013 Promotional Schedule - Laredo Lemurs
- RedHawks Announce 2013 Promotions Schedule - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Record-Setting Zocchi - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts to Play Exhibition in Joplin - Wichita Wingnuts
- Four Fish Retire, Coles Placed on Waivers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones to Visit Joplin in May - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Rookie of the Year, Robert Coe, Re-Signs with Saints - St. Paul Saints
- Notre Dame Hosts Kent State at U. S. Steel Yard Tuesday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints NCAA Tournament Promotion Nets One Lucky Fan $10,000, Live Drawing March 20 at 1 p.m. Central on Social Media
- Right, Left, Right, Saints Re-Sign Pitchers Nittoli and Frosch, Sign Triple-A Reliever Wheeler
- What Animals, Saints 2018 Promotions Schedule Highlighted by Ballpark Wide Food Fight
- Saints to Induct Three Deserving Pigs into "Monument Pork"
- Grass Is Greener...Saints Head Groundskeeper Contract "Purchased" by Brewers Organization