Altoona Curve Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
CURVE, Pa. - The Altoona Curve today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said Curve general manager Derek Martin.
While the Altoona Curve were not on the list of teams facing the possibility of elimination under the MLB proposal, the Curve will remain vigilant and united with all Minor League Baseball teams in opposition to the MLB plan.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Martin. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Akron RubberDucks Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Akron RubberDucks
- Flying Squirrels President Lou DiBella Elected to International Boxing Hall of Fame - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Santa Arrives at Hadlock Field on Saturday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Hartford Yard Goats
- Altoona Curve Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Bowie Baysox
- Binghamton Rumble Ponies Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- James E. Van Zandt VAMC Partners with Altoona Curve for Mask Giveaway
- Altoona Curve Receive Invitation to MLB Player Development System
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season