Alouettes Sign Former Rouge et Or Quarterback Hugo Richard
Montreal - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Monday that the club has signed national quarterback Hugo Richard to a two-year-deal.
Richard (6'2", 225 lbs.) concluded his collegiate career on the best possible note when he led the Université Laval Rouge et Or to a 34-20 win over the McMaster University Marauders on November 24, allowing his team to hoist the Vanier Cup in front of its fans at Stade Telus-Université Laval. The 24-year-old quarterback completed 23 of 31 passes for 348 yards and two touchdowns, while adding 60 rushing yards and a major. During his five seasons in Quebec City, Richard led the Rouge et Or to two Vanier Cup championships, earning the game MVP honours both times.
"Hugo had a brilliant collegiate career and continuously showed progression, while winning numerous team and individual awards," said Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed. "He deserves a chance to showcase his ability at the quarterback position and we will give him the opportunity to do so with his hometown team, which he is already familiar with."
Indeed, Richard took part in the Alouettes' training camp in 2017 as a guest quarterback.
In 38 career games with Laval, the Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC native completed 782 of his 1,145 passes for gains of 10,271 yards, while throwing 70 touchdown passes. Richard was also a rushing threat for opposing defences as he also kept the ball 200 times for gains of 1,228 yards and 30 majors. He is the only player in RSEQ history to score 70 passing and 30 rushing touchdowns.
The former Vanier Cegep Cheetah received many awards while sporting the Rouge et Or uniform, as he was named the RSEQ player of the year in 2014, 2017 and 2018, as well as being voted rookie of the year on the provincial and national levels in 2014. Richard also received second team All-Canadian honours in 2014 and 2017.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 7, 2019
- Alouettes Sign Former Rouge et Or Quarterback Hugo Richard - Montreal Alouettes
- Singleton Released - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers Agree to Terms with Kicker Justin Medlock on Two-Year Extension - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Alouettes Re-Sign 2017 CFL Draft Pick Alex Morrison and Add Offensive Lineman Jarvis Harrison
- Alouettes Sign Contract with Defensive End Joby Saint Fleur
- Alouettes Ink Jermaine Robinson and T.J. Graham
- Luc Brodeur-Jourdain to Return in 2019
- Montreal Alouettes Release Quarterback Johnny Manziel