Alouettes Sign 2017 First Overall Pick Faith Ekakitie
Montreal - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Thursday that the club has signed national defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie to a one-year deal.
Ekakitie (6'3", 290 lbs.) was selected first overall in 2017 CFL Canadian Draft by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The former Iowa University Hawkeye then went on to play 14 games with Winnipeg that year, making five defensive tackles in his first professional season.
The 25-year-old played 34 games with the Hawkeyes, collecting 54 tackles, 10 tackles for losses and 0,5 sacks, while recovering one fumble. The Brampton, ON native helped the Hawkeyes reach the Rose Bowl during his senior year, when his team faced the Stanford University Cardinal on New Year's Day 2016.
Ekakitie took part in the 2018 Blue Bombers training camp. In Montreal, he is reunited with quarterback Drew Willy, against who the Bombers acquired the 2017 first overall pick.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from June 14, 2018
- RedBlacks Add Matias to Practice Roster - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Engaging and Informing CFL Fans - CFL
- Alouettes Sign 2017 First Overall Pick Faith Ekakitie - Montreal Alouettes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Alouettes Sign Receiver Ernest Jackson to a One-Year Extension
- Alouettes Sign Three Draft Picks from 2018 Including Etienne Moisan
- Alouettes Sign Former Rouge et Or Quarterback Hugo Richard
- Alouettes Release Tevaughn Campbell
- Alouettes to Host Tiger-Cats in 2019 Home Opener on July 4