Alouettes Acquire Quarterback Johnny Manziel
Montreal - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Sunday that the club has acquired Hamilton Tiger-Cats' quarterback Johnny Manziel, as well as offensive linemen Tony Washington (I) and Landon Rice (N). In return, the Tiger-Cats receive the Alouettes' first draft picks in 2020 and 2022, defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman and receiver Chris Williams.
Manziel is reunited with Alouettes' head coach Mike Sherman, who recruited him in the NCAA, in 2012, with the Texas A&M Aggies.
Manziel (6'0'', 210 lbs) was a first round pick in the NFL, 22nd overall, by the Cleveland Browns. He played 14 games in the NFL, in 2014 and 2015, throwing seven touchdown passes and won 1675 yards with the Browns. The 25-year-old athlete, from Tyler, TX, won the Heisman Trophy in 2012 with the Aggies, becoming the only freshman to win this honour.
In two pre-season games with the Tiger-Cats, he completed 21 of his 31 passes (67.7%), including one for a touchdown. He also kept the ball six times for 19 rushing yards.
Washington (6'7'', 318 lbs) played 92 games in nine seasons in the CFL, playing forthe Stampeders, Argonauts and Eskimos before joining the Tiger-Cats. The 32-year-old native of New Orleans,LA, raised the Grey Cup in 2012 (Toronto) and in 2015 (Edmonton).
Rice (6'6'', 317 lbs) has been playing in the CFL with the Tiger-Cats since 2014. The Canadian offensive lineman, a native of Brandon, Manitoba, has played 58 games since his professional debut. He played with the University of Manitoba Bisons from 2007 to 2012 and lifted the Vanier Cup in his first year.
"We have acquired an exceptional quarterback with undeniable talent," said Kavis Reed, General Manager of the Alouettes. "With his great mobility, his athletic abilities and his instinct we believe that hewill have a positive impact on our offense. Landon Rice and Tony Washington are two skilled players that will considerably solidify our offensive line."
The Alouettes will host the Edmonton Eskimos on Thursday July 26, at 7:30 p.m. The game will be presented on TSN and TSN 690. Tickets are still available for the game at MontrealAlouettes.com.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from July 22, 2018
- Alouettes Acquire Quarterback Johnny Manziel - Montreal Alouettes
- Tiger-Cats Acquire Westerman, Williams & Two First-Round Picks from Alouettes - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Stamps Fans Donate More Than 64,000 Lbs. of Food to Help Tackle Hunger - Calgary Stampeders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Felix Faubert-Lussier Signs with the Alouettes
- Alouettes Add Receiver Chris Brown to the Roster
- Stephen Adekolu, Back for a Third Season with the Alouettes
- Alouettes Add Veteran Running Back Jeremiah Johnson to the Roster
- Alouettes Launch the 22nd Edition of the Together at School Program