Akron RubberDucks Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
(Akron, Ohio) - Dec. 4, 2019 - The Akron RubberDucks today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said General Manager Jim Pfander.
While the Akron RubberDucks were not on the list of teams facing the possibility of elimination under the MLB proposal, the RubberDucks will remain vigilant and united with all Minor League Baseball teams in opposition to the MLB plan.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Pfander. "While we have a wonderful relationship with the City of Akron as well as our MLB affiliate, the Cleveland Indians, we want to support our sister clubs who equally provide great value to their communities. We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
The Akron RubberDucks are the Double-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. The 2020 season, powered by FirstEnergy, will open at Canal Park on Friday, April 17. For more information about the team, please call 330-253-5151, visit the website at akronrubberducks.com, Facebook page facebook.com/AkronRubberDucks, or on Twitter at @AkronRubberDuck, and Instagram at @akronrubberducks.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Akron RubberDucks Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Akron RubberDucks
- Flying Squirrels President Lou DiBella Elected to International Boxing Hall of Fame - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Santa Arrives at Hadlock Field on Saturday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Hartford Yard Goats
- Altoona Curve Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Bowie Baysox
- Binghamton Rumble Ponies Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks Introduce Primetime Surf 'N' Turf Meal Package for December 14
- Akron RubberDucks' to Offer Week-Long Black Friday Deals, Starting November 23rd
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther