A'ja Wilson's Second Straight Double-Double Leads Team USA To, 86-69, Victory over Host Japan
Tokyo, Japan - A'ja Wilson scored 20 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for her second straight double-double at the 2021 Olympic Games, as the US upended host Japan, 86-69, to improve to 2-0 in pool play.
The United States scored the first seven points of the game and 10 of the first 12, but Japan netted the final 9 points of the period to take a, 30-28, lead.
Tied at 36, the U.S went on an 8-0 run early in the second quarter, and never trailed again.
Wilson went 9 for 15 from the field, and added 3 assists and 3 blocks in the win.
Breanna Stewart added a double-double of her own with 15 points and 13 boards. Brittney Griner (15 points), Jewell Loyd (12), and Diana Taurasi (11) also scored in double figures.
Chelsea Gray made 3 of 5 shots in the game, adding 3 assists and 3 rebounds.
The United States concludes pool play with an August 1 game against France. Tip is slated for 9:40 pm PT.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 30, 2021
- A'ja Wilson's Second Straight Double-Double Leads Team USA To, 86-69, Victory over Host Japan - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces President Nikki Fargas Scheduled to Speak at USA Basketball Women in the Game Conference
- Kelsey Plum Named Kia WNBA Western Conference Player of the Month and Player of the Week
- Kelsey Plum, JiSu Park Help Aces Close out Regular Season With, 84-83, Win over Phoenix
- Las Vegas Clinches No. 2 Seed with 103-70 Road Win over Chicago
- Aces to Honor Becky Hammon by Raising Her No. 25 to the Rafters, Monday, September 13