AJ Cook Scores First OHL Goal in Final Game of the Weekend
Niagara was back in road action Saturday night in Erie to close out their 3 in 3 weekend. The IceDogs were without veteran defenceman Elijah Roberts (injury), and Jackson Doherty and Jake Uberti (illness). Newly acquired second year forward Cameron Peters was in the lineup, starting on the second line with fellow newcomer Cameron Butler.
The Otters capitalized first early in the first period to carry a 1-0 lead. Cameron Snow had the IceDogs' best scoring opportunity through 17 minutes into the first period. He got extra step into the offensive zone on the Otters defence, but he couldn't get past the goaltender, Campbell.
The 'Dogs came out flying in the second period, sustaining pressure in the offensive zone several times. On their second power play of the game, the second unit got 3 shots on net, including one in tight from Peters right in front of the net.
In the final five minutes, Andrew MacLean made an incredible save to keep the Otters from scoring their second of the game.
Forty four seconds into the third period, Ivan Lodnia scored against his former team, with an enthusiastic celebration for good measure. Oliver Castleman, with the lone assist, extending his point streak to 14 games.
Erie answered back with two goals, but their 3-1 lead didn't last long. AJ Cook batted in a loose puck off a shot from Ryan Campbell to score his first OHL goal! Theriault was credited with the secondary assist on the 3-2 marker. Momentum shifted in the favour of the 'Dogs after the goal. The two new Cameron's led the charge in getting pucks on net and pushing the pace in the Otters' zone.
Erie scored an empty net goal to win 4-2.
Hayden Fowler (Sopa & Hunter) (ER) 2:20
Ivan Lodnia (Castleman) (NIA) :044
Jamie Drysdale (Fowler) (ER) 8:00
Maxim Golod (Drysdale & Fowler) (ER) 9:28
AJ Cook (Campbell & Theriault) (NIA) 13:45
Kyen Sopa (Fowler & Yetman) (ER) 18:57 EN
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Fronts Defeat Storm 3-1 for Second Win in as Many Nights - Kingston Frontenacs
- Dellandrea Scores Coast-To-Coast Highlight-Reel Overtime Goal for Firebirds Victory Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Isles Prospect Coskey Notches Hat Trick in 6-5 Victory over Knights - Saginaw Spirit
- Sopa Shines in Otters Debut as Erie Defeats Niagara 4-2 on Cancer Awareness Night - Erie Otters
- 67's Win Streak Ends at 17 as they Fall to Peterborough - Ottawa 67's
- Rangers Rout the Colts, 5-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- AJ Cook Scores First OHL Goal in Final Game of the Weekend - Niagara IceDogs
- Colts Name Luke Bignell Captain - Barrie Colts
- Gavin White's First Ohl Goal Not Enough As Sting Take 4-3 Shootout Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Steelheads Sign 2018 Draft Pick Rylan Bowers - Mississauga Steelheads
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Kingston Frontenacs - Guelph Storm
- Game Day Preview: Suzuki Makes Dow Event Center Debut as Spirit Hosts Knights - Saginaw Spirit
- Preview: Firebirds Host Windsor in Flint Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Knights Best Colts in Return of Gold Medalists - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.