Afanasyev Commits to Spitifres
(Windsor, ON) - General Manager Warren Rychel is pleased to announce Egor Afanasyev (ah-FAW-NAW-see-yev) projected first-round pick in the upcoming 2019 NHL Draft, has committed to the Club with an Ontario Hockey League player and education package.
Originally Ottawa's sixth-round pick (#106 overall) in the 2017 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection, Afanasyev's rights were acquired in the trade that sent franchise cornerstone Michael DiPietro to the 67s back in December.
Afanasyev had a monster 2018-19 season with the Muskegeon Lumberjacks of the USHL, recording 27 goals and 62 points in 58 regular season games and an additional six points in eight playoff games.
A 6'4, 210-pound left winger originally from Tver, Russia, Afanasyev's breakout campaign rocketed him to No.16 in the North American skater rankings for the upcoming 2019 NHL Entry Draft, June 21st and 22nd in Vancouver.
"He's one of the most improved players in North America over the last two years," Rychel said. "He's got the whole package. He's big. He plays physical. He can really shoot it and he's got the ability to finish. We're incredibly happy to welcome Egor."
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Watch Party Details Announced for Rico Phillips at NHL Awards - Flint Firebirds
- Ryan O'Reilly Among OHL Graduates Making the Difference as Blues Win First Stanley Cup Title - Erie Otters
- Afanasyev Commits to Spitifres - Windsor Spitfires
- Michael Simpson Commits to Peterborough Petes - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.