Adames Is Grand as Bulls Dominate IronPigs 10-0
Durham, N.C. - The Durham Bulls (6-9), led by a grand slam from Willy Adames, clinched their second series win of the season with a 10-0 victory over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (7-8) at Durham Bulls Athletic Park Sunday evening.
Durham got on the board in the first inning with an RBI double from Jason Coats (2-4, 4 RBI) and a two-RBI single from Justin Williams (2-4, 2 RBI). Leading 3-0 with the bases loaded in the second inning, Adames (2-4, 4 RBI) stepped to the plate with one out and hit the Snorting Bull for a grand slam, putting the Bulls in front 7-0.
Coats drilled a three-run home run in the fourth inning, ending the outing of Lehigh Valley starter Jake Thompson (L, 0-1) after 3.2 innings. It marked the second home run of the season for Coats, and gave him four RBI as the rout continued through four, 10-0.
Chih-Wei Hu held the 'Pigs in check through 4.0 scoreless innings, surrendering just two hits, with three walks and four strikeouts. The momentum stayed in favor of the Bulls after Hu got out of a bases loaded jam in the top of the fourth inning.
Durham Bulls reliever Adam Kolarek (W, 1-0) earned his first win of the season, tossing 2.2 innings out of the 'pen, limiting the 'Pigs to one hit with one strikeout. Durham relievers held Lehigh Valley to two hits over five innings as they closed the door on their first shutout of the season.
The Bulls went 4-for-6 with runners in scoring position and limited the IronPigs to 0-for-8 with RISP. Joe McCarthy (0-2, 2 BB) extended his on-base streak to 13 games, and Adames moved his hitting streak to five games, batting .471 (8-17) since the streak began on April 17. With the victory, Durham improved to 5-4 at the DBAP.
The Bulls host the Buffalo Bisons (4-4) Monday night for the first game of a three-game series. RHP Forrest Snow (0-1, 2.53) is scheduled to start against RHP Joe Biagini (0-0, 0.00) for the Bisons at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 22, 2018
- Knights Drop Indians in Series Finale, 7-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- De Aza, Chiefs Beat Bats in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Finale 10-0 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Adames Is Grand as Bulls Dominate IronPigs 10-0 - Durham Bulls
- De Los Santos Earns First Win in Durham - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs Looking to Take Two of Three in Durham - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Miller Caps Wild Walk-Off Victory for PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Fall to Chiefs in Extra Innings, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Lose Wild Extra-Inning Game in Pawtucket - Gwinnett Stripers
- Herd Drops Series Finale in Norfolk, 6-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides Clobber Buffalo - Norfolk Tides
- Clippers Edge Wings 1-0 - Rochester Red Wings
- Huffman Homers as Hens Fall to RailRiders - Toledo Mud Hens
- Power bats, power arms pace RailRiders in series finale - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, April 22, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: April 22 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Set New Attendance Record with 14,658 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (7-6) vs. Charlotte Knights (6-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Games Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Halloween-Themed Fall Fan Fest to be Held October 27
- DBAP to Host Hurricane Fundraiser, Championship Celebration Saturday
- Durham Falls in Triple-A National Championship Game
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bulls Repeat as Governors' Cup Champions