Aaron Long Captains USMNT against Panama
GLENDALE, Ariz. - New York Red Bulls center back Aaron Long captained the U.S. Men's National Team to a 3-0 win over Panama at State Farm Stadium on Sunday night.
Long, 26, earned his fourth cap for the USMNT and captained the team for the first time. The 2018 MLS Defender of the Year earned his first USMNT call up in September of 2018.
Long rose quickly as one of the league's best defenders in just his second season with the Red Bulls first team. In addition to the Defender of the Year award, he also earned MLS Best XI and All-Star honors as he anchored a Red Bulls defense that recorded 15 shutouts and allowed a league-low 33 goals in 34 games.
The USMNT is set to face Costa Rica on February 2 to conclude January camp. Long will rejoin the Red Bulls ahead of the second preseason camp in Tucson, Arizona and the Mobile Mini Sun Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2019
- Aaron Long Captains USMNT against Panama - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United and Loudoun United FC Hire Dane Murphy as Technical Director - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Acquires Goalkeeper David Ousted - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East