A Statement from the Canadian Football League on the Status of Johnny Manziel
December 29, 2017 - Canadian Football League (CFL) News Release
TORONTO - The Canadian Football League (CFL) has released the following statement:
Since last summer, the Canadian Football League has been engaged in a thorough process to determine the eligibility of Johnny Manziel. This process has been conducted with the cooperation of Mr. Manziel and independent of the team which currently holds his CFL rights, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
It has included an ongoing assessment by an independent expert on the issue of violence against women, a review by legal counsel, and an in-person interview of Mr. Manziel conducted by the Commissioner. As well, Mr. Manziel has been required to meet a number of conditions set by the league.
As a result of this process, the Commissioner has now informed Mr. Manziel and the Tiger-Cats he is prepared to approve a contract for Mr. Manziel should one be negotiated.
The process that led to this decision does, however, will continue. Mr. Manziel has been informed he must continue to meet a number of conditions in order to remain eligible. These conditions, while extensive and exacting, remain confidential.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from December 29, 2017
- Crezdon Butler Signs Extension - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Add Ryan Rigmaiden to Scouting Staff - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Re-Sign Defensive Tackle Drake Nevis - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Statement from Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Johnny Manziel Ruling - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- A Statement from the Canadian Football League on the Status of Johnny Manziel - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.