Chivas USA to Host Aids Awareness Night on Sunday Against D.C. United
The Wall Las Memorias and Chivas USA would host the fourth annual AIDS awareness night at the Major League Soccer game between DC United and Chivas USA at 7pm, to be held at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.
Activities to include:
* Lincoln High School Band to form a human AIDS ribbon during pre-game ceremony.
* ChivaGirls to perform an AIDS Awareness dance routine.
* 1000 Red Cards promoting HIV testing to be distributed to fans.
* 700 supporters to be in attendance including 300 who took an HIV test for free game tickets.
In Los Angeles County, Latinos make up the largest racial group impacted by AIDS.
This year, Chivas USA teamed up with The Wall Las Memorias Project to support an HIV testing initiative with over 300 people taking an HIV test.
Chivas USA players Mariano Trujillo and Michael Lahoud created history by taking the HIV test and sharing their experience with the community during the World Cup and National HIV Testing Week to encourage individuals to get past their fear and doubt, and know their status.
Who: Richard Zaldivar, the founder and Executive Director; Tania Rodriguez, Board Chair; Eddie Martinez, Associate Director; Mary Rosas, Senior Director of PhRMA Alliances and Access; Marisol Arenas of La Opinion; Danielle Mosher, Director of Erase Doubt Campaign
Participating agencies: Greater East LA meth task force, Lincoln Heights Neighborhood Council, AltaMed Health Services, JWCH, East Los Angeles Women's Center, Our Lady Queen of Angels Church, Iglesia Luterana Church and Latino Family Center.
Community Partners: Erase The Doubt Campaign (EraseDoubt.org) and Chivas USA.
Why: The partnership between The Wall Las Memorias Project and Chivas USA is a joint effort to promote AIDS awareness and HIV testing in the Latino community of Los Angeles County. The purpose of this initiative is to reduce the stigma surrounding the disease and promoting a healthy community through awareness, education and testing. This year, our initiative goal is to provide HIV testing to over 300 community members and generate awareness to over 15,000 soccer fans.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 27, 2010
- Chivas USA to Host Aids Awareness Night on Sunday Against D.C. United - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Make First Ever Appearance at Red Bull Arena as They Face the Star-Studded Red Bulls - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kansas City Wizards Face First-Place Galaxy on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Release Forward Stefan Dimitrov - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake's Álvaro Saborío and Will Johnson to Join Respective National Teams for Upcoming Frie - Real Salt Lake
- Game Notes - Sounders FC Vs. Chicago Fire - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rosters Revealed for Real Salt Lake/Zions Bank Ligas All-Star Game - Real Salt Lake
- Grammatrain Music Video to Premiere During Sounders FC Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids' Omar Cummings Called into Jamaican National Team - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp