67s Fall to Flying Petes
OTTAWA, ON - Coming off a convincing win on Friday night, the Ottawa 67's were unable to put together a complete performance, facing heavy fire by an explosive Petes team and falling 6-2 in Peterborough.
Peterborough started this fifth meeting between the two clubs off with resolve, scoring twice in 30 seconds just past the half-way point of the first period. Korostelev (13:25) and Paquette (13:59) both took advantage of a Petes' power play to get their team on the board.
While overshot in the first, the Barber Poles flipped the script on the Petes in the second, dominating the period with 17 shots on goal, against 8 for Peterborough. Team co-leader Kody Clark brought the 67's back within one with his 16th goal of the season at 3:44, from passes by Carter Robertson and Sasha Chmelevski. Heading in to the locker room at the end of two, it looked like the 67's were turning the corner and could muster a comeback.
In the end, the Petes would turn out to have all the momentum on the night, adding four more goals in the third frame to secure the win at home. Ottawa seemingly got the air taken out of under their wings from the get-go at the start of the final period when Gallant scored on Tremblay within the first 30 seconds. DeNoble (8:49), Korostelev (his second of the night at 9:11) and Paquette (his second of the night at 9:40) added to the Petes' tally. That would also end 67's Tremblay's night.
Ottawa, refusing to throw in the towel, managed to get one more passed Peterborough's Wells as the game was winding down. Oliver True, back from his stint with the Danish Team at the IIHF World's Junior Hockey Championship, scored to make it 6-2, assisted by Bahl and Rippon.
GAME NOTES: Ottawa recent addition and local boy D Merrick Rippon now has four points in four games (one goal, three assists). * With his 16th goal, Ottawa RW Koday Clark joins teammate C Sasha Chmelevski as team's scoring leaders. Ottawa struggled with power play, both on offence (1/6) and penalty kill (3/7).
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- Petes Wrap up Weekend with a Shootout in North Bay - Peterborough Petes
- 67's Can'T Weather the Storm, Fall 5-4 to Guelph in OT - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Win 4-3 over Flint - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Petes Offense Explodes in Front of Largest Crowd of the Season - Peterborough Petes
- Firebirds Score Power-Play Goal for Seventh Consecutive Game to Secure Franchise Record, Fall 4-3 in - Flint Firebirds
- GAME RECAP: IceDogs Win the Weekend with 5-3 Win over the Otters - Niagara IceDogs
- Post-Deadline Rangers Earn Second Straight Win, Drop Spirit - Kitchener Rangers
- 67s Fall to Flying Petes - Ottawa 67's
- Firebirds Tally Franchise-Record 48 Shots on the Road in Defeat to Oshawa Friday - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- Marco Rossi Commits to 67's
- 67's Bahl Headed to World Junior Showcase
- 67's Select Austrian Centre Marco Rossi in CHL Import Draft
- 67's Clark, Bahl and Hoelscher Hear Names Called on NHL Draft Weekend
- Former 67's Goaltending Coach Andy Chiodo Hired by Pittsburgh Penguins