67's Fall Short in a Thriller against Saginaw
OTTAWA - The Ottawa 67's opened their USA weekend road trip with a 4-3 loss on Thursday night in Saginaw against the Spirit, in their first game of a three in four sequence that will stretch until Sunday. Marco Rossi and Mitch Hoelscher were the goal scorers for the Barber Poles in the contest.
The first period was a busy one for both clubs, as two goals were scored on each side in the opening 20 minutes. Camaryn Barber scored the game's first goal early on, before 67's forwards Marco Rossi and Mitch Hoelscher combined their efforts to give Ottawa a lead that would last just under a minute, as Saginaw's Jake Goldowski tied it up before the end of the period.
Hoelscher added his second of the game late in the second period, when he stripped a defender of the puck and broke away, only to slip the puck between Tristan Lennox's legs to give the Barber Poles the edge.
Saginaw went on to rally and score two goals late in the third period to give the hosts a 4-3 win in front of their home fans. DJ Busdeker tied the game at 14:43 of the final period, before Cole Perfetti went on to give the Spirit the lead with just under two minutes to play in the game.
The 67's will hit the ice once again on Saturday night, when they visit the Firebirds in Flint, before rounding out their trip in Sarnia on Sunday afternoon.
67's newly acquired forward Adam Varga made his debut for the team on Friday, wearing number 11 for Ottawa.
Cedrick Andree was busy throughout this game, receiving a total of 33 shots.
Marco Rossi broke in this game a rare four game streak without a goal, with his sixth of the season.
With two goals, Mitchell Hoelscher added to his already team leading goal total, making it 14 on the year.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 14, 2019
- Pair of Rookies and the Captain Lead the Charge in 8-5 Victory over the Attack - Barrie Colts
- Game Preview: Owen Sound Attack at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Late Comeback Not Enough for Attack in 8-5 Loss to Colts - Owen Sound Attack
- Losing Streak Hits 11 - North Bay Battalion
- Knights Graduate Corey Perry Plays 1000th NHL Game - London Knights
- Preview: Firebirds Battle the Knights in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- More Third Period Heroics Lead to Spirit's Third Win in a Row - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Fall Short in a Thriller against Saginaw - Ottawa 67's
- IceDogs Battle Hard against High-Flying Petes, Coming Home with a Point - Niagara IceDogs
- Jenik's Five Points & Roy's Return Spark Bulldogs To Victory Over Troops - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Steelheads to Host 8th Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game - Mississauga Steelheads
- 44 OHL Players Named to NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List - OHL
- Preview: Spirit Host 67's on House Divided Night at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- 67's Score 5 Unanswered Goals in Win over Colts
- 67's Game on Sunday Cancelled, Teddy Bear Toss Rescheduled
- Ottawa 67's 2019 Fourth Round Pick Ranvir Gill-Shane Commits to Club
- 67's Clinch Second Alexandra Cup Victory in as Many Years with Their Ninth Consecutive Win
- Andree Collects Shut out in Opening Game of the Battle of the Ottawa River