2020 NHL Draft Scheduled for October 9 & 10
The National Hockey League announced on Friday that, in addition to a four-year extension to the NHL/NHLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement through the 2025-26 season, the League has tentatively scheduled the 2020 NHL Draft for October 9-10, with all seven rounds to be held virtually online.
Initially scheduled for June 26-27Â in Montreal, Quebec, the proceedings were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The NHL schedule was paused on March 12 and is scheduled to resume August 1 with the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.
Ontario Hockey League talent represents five of the top seven skaters on NHL Central Scouting's Final North American Rankings, with Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves), Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters), Cole Perfetti (Saginaw Spirit), Marco Rossi (Ottawa 67's) and Jack Quinn (Ottawa 67's) at the top of the list. The OHL also produced the top-ranked goaltender in Jim Rutherford Goaltender of the Year Award recipient Nico Daws (Guelph Storm).
The First Phase of the NHL Draft lottery included the seven teams that are not part of the 24-team NHL Return to Play Plan, plus eight placeholder positions for the eliminated qualifiers. A separate drawing was held for each of the top three picks, with the winning placeholder, designated Team E, coming away successful. Each of the 16 teams that will play in the best-of-5 qualifier series has a chance to win the first overall pick. The Los Angeles Kings will pick second, and the Ottawa Senators will select third.
The team selecting first overall will be determined on August 10 by the Second Phase of the NHL Draft Lottery based on the results of the First Phase, which was held back on June 26. The pick will be awarded to one of the eight teams that are eliminated from the qualifiers and will be drawn before the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
For more information visit nhl.com.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from July 14, 2020
- Firebirds' Dellandrea on Dallas Stars Training Camp Roster - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Rangers Alumni to Attend NHL Return to Play Training Camps - Kitchener Rangers
- 176 OHL Graduates Attending NHL Return to Play Training Camps - OHL
- 2020 NHL Draft Scheduled for October 9 & 10 - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kitchener Rangers Stories
- Fill the Rangers Bus in Support of the Food Bank of Waterloo Region
- Lending a Hand in a Time of Need
- Mason Kohn Shifts Gears After Fulfilling Hockey Career
- A Doctor's Journey from East Ave. to the West Coast
- Goaltender Pavel Cajan Signs OHL Standard Player Agreement