10-Man Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United, 1-0
Down to 10 men, Tom Barlow's first MLS goal lifted the New York Red Bulls (5-5-2, 17 pts) past Atlanta United FC (6-4-2, 20 pts), 1-0, on Sunday at Red Bull Arena. New York has won four of their last five matches and have moved into sixth place in the Eastern Conference.
With Barlow's goal, New York Snapped Atlanta's scoreless streak of 521 minutes and five-straight clean sheets.
The Red Bulls improved to 3-0-1 vs. Atlanta all-time at Red Bull Arena across all competitions. New York has held Atlanta United's offense scoreless in four matches across all competitions at Red Bull Arena.
New York has had 10 different goal scorers in their last 11 goals.
After a Tim Parker red card in the 35th minute, Barlow found the eventual game-winner from a well-placed Daniel Royer cross in the 65th minute.
Barlow became the 13th different Red Bulls player to score a goal in league player this season. New York had 14 different goal scorers in league play all of 2018.
Massapequa, New York, native Sean Nealis, who scored his first career MLS game against Dallas, recorded his first career MLS assist.
Royer raised his team-leading league assist total to four. The Austrian winger has recorded an assist in three of his last four matches.
Captain and goalkeeper Luis Robles tallied two saves for his 65th career clean sheet to move into sole possession of eighth all-time in MLS.
Robles recorded his 105th career league win.
Head coach Chris Armas raised his career record to 17-8-5 all-time and 12-4-0 at Red Bull Arena in league play.
New York is 51-44-23 all-time in the month of May. New York has scored 182 goals in May and allowed 167.
New York will have a quick turnaround as they host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday, May 22 at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG+, TSN and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls 1, Atlanta United 0
2019 MLS Regular-Season Match 12
Sunday - 5 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY - Tom Barlow 1 (Royer, Nealis) 65'
NY - Tim Parker (ejection, denial of obvious goal scoring opportunity) 35'
ATL - Franco Escobar (caution, unsporting behavior) 84'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Amro Tarek, Kemar Lawrence, Tim Parker, Michael Amir Murillo, Sean Davis, Marc Rzatkowski, Daniel Royer, Kaku (Alex Muyl, 66'), Andreas Ivan (Sean Nealis, 41'), Brian White (Tom Barlow, 55')
TOTAL SHOTS: 6; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 2
Atlanta United FC: Brad Guzan; Franco Escobar, Michael Parkhurst © (Brek Shea, 54'), Miles Robinson, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (Romario Williams, 80'), Gonzalo Martinez, Jeff Larentowicz, Darlington Nagbe, Julian Gressel (Dion Pereira, 64'), Hector Villabla, Josef Martinez
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: 1
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Matthew Nelson, Claudiu Badea
4th Official: Lorant Varga
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2019
- LAFC and FC Dallas Draw 1-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Colorado Rapids 1 - Sunday, May 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Postgame Notes - Week 12 - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United's five-game winning streak snapped at Red Bull Arena - Atlanta United FC
- 10-Man Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City Defeats FC Cincinnati in First Ever Meeting - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Blows out FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Defeats Expansion Side FC Cincinnati in First Ever Meeting - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Hosts Liga MX's Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente in International Friendly on July 7 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Breaking Down the XI | Back to Full Strength - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Drop Mid-Week Road Match at Toronto, 3-1
- Match Preview: New York Travels North for Mid-Week Matchup Versus Toronto
- Red Bulls Complete Comeback, Defeat NYCFC, 2-1
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday
- Florian Valot Obtains U.S. Green Card