ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Gwizz Newzz

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:28 am

http://www.macon.com/160/story/158741.html

Macon adds pro basketball franchise
By Coley Harvey - charvey@macon.com
It's official.

Macon is about to add another professional sports team to its resume.

On Thursday, Regina McDuffie, general manager of the Macon Centreplex, confirmed the signing of the formerly named Gwinnett Gwizzlies basketball team to its repertoire of events this fall.

The Gwizzlies, a new member of the American Basketball Association, played at an arena in metro Atlanta's Gwinnett County the past two seasons. This year, they're coming to Macon and are adopting the new name: Georgia Gwizzlies.

McDuffie said this is a move she hopes pays off for the team, and that it marks an exciting moment for Macon.

"It does mean a lot for the city," she said. "We have (professional) basketball back in the city, and it gives us some more public event dates. We also hope it'll help display the facilities here. We hope people in Macon help support this team just as it's trying to become a part of this community."

McDuffie said, for now, the Gwizzlies will occupy the 2,500-seat exhibit hall at the Centreplex instead of the main 9,000-seat Coliseum floor. That is primarily because Centreplex officials want to see how well the team can get fans into the arena before deciding if it's worth moving the team to the main floor when its lease expires in December.

"Right now, they're signed through the end of the calendar year," McDuffie said. "And we're basing it all on attendance. They will be wanting to get in the big arena. If their attendance averages over 1,000, we'll move them over there."
The arena's general manager is optimistic that the Gwizzlies may be able to reach some respectable attendance numbers. As McDuffie mentioned, this year, Macon's newest minor league team, the baseball-playing Music, did well in drawing fans to their games. The Music led the South Coast League with a nearly 1,800 per game in attendance.

One thing that may allow the Gwizzlies to share some of the Music's success is their family oriented ticket plans. McDuffie said prices will range between $5 to $12, and parking at the Centreplex will be free.

"So it should be a really reasonable, good product," McDuffie said. "We negotiated with (the Gwizzlies), and there will be free parking. They agreed to pick up the cost of parking, and we figured that would be fine since they're making their ticket prices so low. We hope that will get them more people to the games."

According to the Gwizzlies' Web site, the team has already compiled a 13-man roster, with five additional players being invited for training camp, which starts Nov. 8. Their first game is Nov. 14 at the Houston Takers. The Gwizzlies' home-opener is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. Nov. 24.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:54 am

"ABARedWhiteBlue" wrote:"Right now, they're signed through the end of the calendar year," McDuffie said. "And we're basing it all on attendance. They will be wanting to get in the big arena. If their attendance averages over 1,000, we'll move them over there."

Ha ha ha....Thats pretty funny!!! Just like the Lake Erie Rockers were going
to play in the Wolstein center if Maple Heights High School gym was to small.

I don't think they had enough total fans to fill it in their pathetic, short,
unfinished season...

I hope Macon is that ambitious with other aspects of the game before they
worry about a bigger arena. Of course, could they have another motive
for signing only to the end of the year???

barkley34
Site Admin

Post by barkley34 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:51 pm

If they average 1,000??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the end of the year, if the ENTIRE ABA grosses 1,000 fans that will be a treat.

Sickening, another public facility is about to get swindled by the ABA con men.

tops804
Site Admin

Looking a little too far ahead???

Post by tops804 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 am

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007111306002

GEORGIA GWIZZLIES PLAN TO ENTER TWO SMALL GUARDS IN SLAM DUNK COMPETITION

13-Nov-2007
Macon, GA -- Embry Malone, owner of the Georgia Gwizzlies, intends to enter two small guards into the ABA Slam Dunk competition at the 2008 All-Star Weekend.

"I've been watching 5'11 Behdad Sami, our Iranian point guard and 6'1 Stuart Mitchell in practice the last couple of weeks and have seen both of them doing what I think has been reserved for 6'4-6'9 inch players. They are amazing talents and I think having these guys will really delight the fans. We've been lobbying for the league to have the ABA All Star game in Middle Georgia and as I understand it, we are in the running. We've been getting great support from the media here. I hope it happens - and fans worldwide can see these two remarkable talents with a spectacular array of dunks. Their vertical jumps are amazing."

Just a thought: Will this team be playing by the all-star game? Will there be
enough teams to hold an all-star game? Season is 11 days old, and no southeast
team played yet, but are already sending players to the all-star game.
Last edited by tops804 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wording
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

indy legend
Site Admin

Post by indy legend » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:35 am

I actually hope the Gwizz hang around for a while. The press releases they put out are far more entertaining than anything this league does on the court. I just wove this wascally"organization".

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 am

"tops804" wrote:http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007111306002

Just a thought: Will this team be playing by the all-star game? Will there be
enough teams to hold an all-star game? Season is 11 days old, and no southeast
team played yet, but are already sending players to the all-star game.

I honestly don't think the ABA is even going to PLAY an All-Star Game this season. Last thing Joe wants is another attempted coup d'etat while he's in Halifax for the ASG.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Perhaps the next coup should be by force?

I'll bring the silly string.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:37 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3559545

Georgia Gwizzlies Issue Attendance Challenge
11/14/07 - American Basketball Association (ABA) Georgia Gwizzlies

Macon, GA. Embry Malone, owner of the ABA Georgia Gwizzlies, stated, "Based on the response we had to our exhibition game versus Fort Valley State University on Monday night, over 2000 excited fans, we think we will break the all-time attendance record this season for minor league basketball. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4000-6000 people at every game. I haven't seen anything like this for quite sometime. I really want to thanks the folks at Fort Valley State, one of the great black colleges, for getting behind us as they have."
"Apparently our philosophy about having a team and organization of diversity is working," added Malone. "So I'm issuing a challenge to my fellow ABA teams and let's see who has the largest attendance this season."

The Gwizzlies home opener is on November 24th vs the Orlando Aces at 715pm at the Macon Centerplex. The team will return to Fort Valley State University on Jan 21 to play before a national audience on ESPN for its Martin Luther King Jr Federal National Holiday ballgame at 330pm vs the Houston Takers. For more information, visit http://www.gwizzliesbasketball.com or http://www.abalive.com.
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

darcherjr
Site Admin

Gwizzlies score? ABA-SEBL exhibition...

Post by darcherjr » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Interesting to me that the Gwizzlies did not report what the score was against Ft. Valley on Monday night. Or the fact that that the Gwizz played and exhibition game last night against the SEBL's Mac-town Ballers -- and lost 89-74.

The Gwizz left the ABA their first year of existence and joined the SEBL. Then, went back to the ABA?

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 pm

"darcherjr" wrote:Interesting to me that the Gwizzlies did not report what the score was against Ft. Valley on Monday night. Or the fact that that the Gwizz played and exhibition game last night against the SEBL's Mac-town Ballers -- and lost 89-74.

The Gwizz left the ABA their first year of existence and joined the SEBL. Then, went back to the ABA?

The Gwizz left the ABA before their first game; this after an off-season filled with nearly daily releases and announcements that were the height of unintentional comedy. They evolved into the Reigning Knights of Georgia, or the Atlanta Vision (frankly, I can't keep track, but I can look it up if someone really needs to know).

They reappeared as the SEBL - they pretty much ran the league, and were seemingly the only sustaining presence in that league.

Return to “ABA”