Maui vs. Chico

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
Theirish
Site Admin

Maui vs. Chico

Post by Theirish » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:07 am

There has been alot of hate againist Maui on these threads but they beat OC by beating they 2 out of the 3 on the road. I also give congrats to Chico for sweeping them, espically after the rain out and playing 2 in Calgary. I really think Maui has a great chance taking the championship, they have played well againist Chico and see them splitting in Chico and taking the championship in Maui. Chico hasn't come to Maui, so they might enjoy their time a lil bit out here, so I could see them losing huge in the first game.

GBL South Rules
Site Admin

Maui in 5 games

Post by GBL South Rules » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 am

So much for sea level verses +4000 feet...

So much of Mike Marshal not having a clue...

So much for strength of schedule...

So much for 3 or 4 travel trips (Chico will have a total of 2 while Maui will only make 1)

So much for Chico unloading all their talent...

So much for leading the league in home runs...

So much for backing into the playoffs...

So much for Chico's new management not wanting to win in the playoffs...

Like ALL post season baseball, it comes down to pitching. Chico and Maui had the two lowest ERA's this season and 2 of the 3 lowest batting average against.

It will be in interesting series as Maui's top 2 pitchers have just pitched on short rest and unlikely to be available until games 3 and 4.
Last edited by GBL South Rules on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theirish
Site Admin

Post by Theirish » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:36 am

I know that Harold Williams, who has been strong for Maui since he has gone into the starting role, so he will take the ball for game 1. I can see for game 2 Maui pitching ethridge and letting him do his thing.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm

And, so much for adding a closer after the trading deadline...among other things.

I don't think anybody here "hates" Maui. The irritation and disgust reflected is based on the incredible preferential treatment they received. Documented and indisputable and shameful. Pretty much GBL s.o.p.

Maybe the other owners should have begged off travel because of financial difficulties as well, this past season.

Having said that, Corey has put a strong team together and he's got a record of getting the most out of his team, in STG or Maui. Not a stretch to see Maui sweeping Chico.

Doesn't make it right, though.

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:03 pm

[quote=""stg2010 front office""]And, so much for adding a closer after the trading deadline...among other things.

I don't think anybody here "hates" Maui. The irritation and disgust reflected is based on the incredible preferential treatment they received. Documented and indisputable and shameful. Pretty much GBL s.o.p.

Maybe the other owners should have begged off travel because of financial difficulties as well, this past season.

Having said that, Corey has put a strong team together and he's got a record of getting the most out of his team, in STG or Maui. Not a stretch to see Maui sweeping Chico.

Doesn't make it right, though.[/quote]

Get over it, the bottom line is Maui won regardless of travel and as far as financial situation. Take a strong look at your team, I am sorry you do not have one. Why, financial reasons get over it there will never be baseball in St. George again the community does not support it and never will. So, find a new place to complain like a blog for needle point.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 am

Hey, it's the aptly named Lunkhead. Chiming in with absolutely no clue as to what he's talking about, as usual. Proving, once and for all, what we have suspected since his initial post.

I have no ties to STG. Couldn't care less if St. George ever has another professional baseball team. Frankly, I can't see it happening there, if the only option is Dixie State College.

Maui's playing Chico. It is what it is, and so is the GBL.

By the way, little fella, how's that needlepoint blog working out for you? I'm really not interested, but, hey, if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

GBL South Rules
Site Admin

No trading deadline exceptions occurred

Post by GBL South Rules » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 am

Maui was able to sign Fruto to replace Vermilyea who was signed by Toronto which is in compliance with league rules.

BTW, OC did the same thing after losing Prior with the signing of Koons. It only becomes frustrating to others when inaccurate data is strewn around in the form of accusations and/or to favor one side by omitting certain critical details.

Just like those famous commercials from a few years ago with the motto...we'll get them next year. That's the great thing about sports...just ask the New Orleans Saints. 43 years to finally win a Super Bowl...the wait was absolutely worth it.
Last edited by GBL South Rules on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Heat
Site Admin

Does actually winning make a difference?

Post by High Heat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 am

August 19: Maui 3, Chico 0
August 20: Maui 6, Chico 5
August 21: Chico 11, Maui 3

In three games played in Chico, Maui won by shutout, a tough one run win, and the blowout loss. Maui wins the series ON THE ROAD 2-1.

August 22: Maui 14, OC 11
August 24 (1): Maui 2, OC 1
August 24 (2): OC 6, Maui 4

In three games played in OC, Maui takes a 25 run wild one, another one run win, and a two run loss. Maui wins the series ON THE ROAD 2-1.

Maui then went on to win 4 of 5 ON THE ROAD in Yuma before taking 5 of 7 at home against OC.

OC and Maui then split the first two games of the divisional playoffs (what happened to those homer umps in game two with Maui ace Donald Brandt on the mound? Apparently they didn't get the memo.)

Finally, after surrendering home field advantage, Maui again goes ON THE ROAD to OC where they take two of three to win the South Division title.

To recap, Maui played 11 of their last 18 regular season games ON THE ROAD, and 2 of 3 playoff games... well, you get the picture. Maui has a tremendous home field advantage, but it has proven it can play any time and anywhere. Even the three week trip to open the season in the Great White North resulted in Na Koa Ikaika sitting only two games under .500.

All teams were affected by the cancelled games around the All Star break, and while it would be nice to see box scores for every game, do you really think it changes the outcome of the final standings? I'm guessing not much if at all.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

fine, guys...dream on.

Maui earned it all, themselves.

Got no preferential treatment and didn't have homer umps during the regular season.

The GBL is a well run organization with quality leadership from ethical, conscientious individuals like Kaval, Outcalt, and Marshall.

The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are alive and well.

LivefromChico
Site Admin

Playoff structure

Post by LivefromChico » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:03 pm

So how is this whole championship thing working? I thought it was a best of five series - two being played in Chico and the final three in Maui. Now the Outlaws have requested Nettleton for Thursday night as well which means to me a couple of things:

1) The GBL can't afford to fly the Outlaws to Maui so they're hoping like hell one of the teams sweeps.
2) They're playing doubleheaders because of the above financial issue.
3) It's a best of three series?

Can anyone clue me in because it's all a mystery to us here in Chico - which just goes to show you how much interest there is...

Return to “GBL”