Would Bangor/Brewer make sense?

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
LandoG
Site Admin

Would Bangor/Brewer make sense?

Post by LandoG » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Before anyone whaps me with the "Get your own house in order!" rant, let me say that I agree with you, the PBL needs to solidify before it expands. Having said that, let's look at Bangor Brewer...

Home court would be the Bangor Auditorium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor_Auditorium
it holds almost 6,000, well within PBL (or D-league) needs.
I've watched high school basketball there in the late 80's and remember it being a crazy atmosphere.

Bangor Brewer population: "The population of the Bangor Metropolitan Statistical Area is over 148,000."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_Maine

distance/travel time to nearest opponents:
Halifax..."About 7 hours and 11 minutes"
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_to_drive_from_halifax_to_bangor_maine
Quebec..."Using current road systems and with optimal road conditions the distance between Quebec City and Bangor Maine can be driven in approximately 5 hours and 45 minutes. See the link below for details."
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_driving_distance_between_Bangor_Maine_and_Quebec_city

...also the Heaves and Rats would be reasonably close by.
Possible rivalry/"inexpensive" expansion of regular season? Divisions?
The economy has suffered along with all the rest, but being the only pro team in town (Maine Redclaws DL closest "rival") would help, and it would be priced to compete for the local entertainment dollar.
Corporate support? with multi owners, who knows, but as the economy continues to suffer, IMHO the PBL offers a good, affordable night out. Anyone here from this area with knowledge on the subject? I realize this has (almost) no chance of ever happening, but humor me with your thoughts, svp.

...sorry for all the wiki references, but I didn't think anyone would bust my chops for being lazy and not looking for another source..
Last edited by LandoG on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:01 pm

"LandoG" wrote:...
distance/travel time to nearest opponents:
Halifax..."About 7 hours and 11 minutes"
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_to_drive_from_halifax_to_bangor_maine

Do you have reason to believe Halifax will have a basketball team next season? Have local investors stepped-up to start a new franchise yet?

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:27 pm

"Ken, Steelheads fan" wrote:Do you have reason to believe Halifax will have a basketball team next season? Have local investors stepped-up to start a new franchise yet?

good point, but this is about Bangor/Brewer. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Very good answer and follow-up question. If I didn't know better, I would think I was you under an alias. :wink:

Yes, I have thoughts on the matter. High school basketball is still big in Bangor and a fall/winter league would have to compete with that plus their high school tournament. Also, the Maine Red Claws of the D-League are also Bangor's team since Portland is only a few hours away. Stephen King is a longtime Bangor resident and is a sports fan, but he's more into supporting area baseball. I would find it hard to believe a longtime Bangor icon like him would do something to compete with kids' revenue (high school basketball).

I would like to expand on my first post though. Vermont is only 5 1/2 hours from Bangor also, but do you think Vermont is returning? Vermont only had a team this season by their chiny chin-chin. Bangor would be kinda lonesome near question mark franchises.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Ken I see where your going with Vermont. I don't personally see the PBL back next year at all in my opinion. Look there are 8 teams left 9 if you count expansion Las Vegas. I live in Buffalo no way in my opinion do I see the Buffalo Stampede coming back if they do I would be shocked. We are a mess in my opinion and it is getting worse everyday it is a circus from what I hear.

So now your down to 7 with Las Vegas 8. But do you bring Las Vegas in with the extra travel? I would think at this point that hurts the PBL more than helps inless the PBL finds more teams in the west to join Las Vegas than your at this question. What business person would want a expansion team in the PBL right now from a business point of view?

I wouldn't expand the PBL right now. I would try to find a new owner for Buffalo if I was the PBL. Either outright folding the Buffalo Stampede or expelling them like Puerto Rico and then expanding to Buffalo again for next year with a new owner if you can find one. I wonder if the Rochester Razorsharks owner could run a new Buffalo PBL franchise until the time comes when the PBL finds us a new owner? Because Buffalo is in the PBL geographical footprint more so than Las Vegas at this point. Only way I would have Las Vegas in the PBL for next year is if you find more west teams to go along with them.

If Buffalo is run like Rochester they have a chance in my opinion. Finding a new owner for Buffalo should be on the to do list in the off season in my opinion if the PBL comes back next year at all at this point? Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes, I have thoughts on the matter. High school basketball is still big in Bangor and a fall/winter league would have to compete with that plus their high school tournament. Also, the Maine Red Claws of the D-League are also Bangor's team since Portland is only a few hours away.

A Bangor PBL team (to be called the Billionaires, Bills for short) would have at most 15 home dates (reg. season +play offs+preseason) and if anything, I think strong support for hs ball would reflect favorably on them and should be seen as a positive. Solid marketing is crucial.

The Redclaws are 166 miles away (give or take a couple miles). A smaller area like BB might have some resentment/jealousy of Portland (especially with their own pro team), plus I would think that the Redclaws would love to see another geographically close opponent (exhibition, future league/cup play.)

I have no idea if Vermont or Buffalo will be back. It is possible that Manchester will be hit with a plague of locusts, thus ending any hope of PBL glory because they will have no food. Bangor would be very lonely and in danger, especially if the locusts left them alone. We might then see NH try to take control of Maine and it's various food sources, ending all chance of PBL success in Maine.

:rolleyes: I hope that it does not come to this.
Last edited by LandoG on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

"LandoG" wrote:A Bangor PBL team (to be called the Billionaires, Bills for short) would have at most 15 home dates (reg. season +play offs+preseason) and if anything, I think strong support for hs ball would reflect favorably on them and should be seen as a positive. Solid marketing is crucial.

The Redclaws are 166 miles away (give or take a couple miles). A smaller area like BB might have some resentment/jealousy of Portland (especially with their own pro team), plus I would think that the Redclaws would love to see another geographically close opponent (exhibition, future league/cup play.)

I have no idea if Vermont or Buffalo will be back. It is possible that Manchester will be hit with a plague of locusts, thus ending any hope of PBL glory because they will have no food. Bangor would be very lonely and in danger, especially if the locusts left them alone. We might then see NH try to take control of Maine and it's various food sources, ending all chance of PBL success in Maine.

:rolleyes: I hope that it does not come to this.

I've been to Bangor, but I didn't drive. Mapquest says it is only 129 miles to Portland:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Bangor&1s=ME&1y=US&1l=44.801102&1g=-68.778297&1v=CITY&2c=Portland&2s=ME&2y=US&2l=43.6614&2g=-70.255798&2v=CITY

Strong support of High School ball would reflect favorably on a Bangor pro team?!? Yes, sounds great on paper. The high school will have the choice dates and the support of the community. It's tough to operate concurrently with high school tradition...and doesn't Bangor also have a strong college program?

The Red Claws would love to see another geographically close opponent?!? The Red Claws are a D-League team and D-League teams don't have exhibition or cup play games with leagues like the ABA/PBL/WBA/etc. The Red Claws would love to see another close D-League team, period.

If you have no idea Vermont or Buffalo (or Halifax, for that matter) is coming back then why are you throwing the name Bangor into the mix?!? You seem to be using old data. Play league exec of a credible league for awhile. Given the available research data, take your best guess. Is Bangor a good fit?

bdaly
Site Admin

Post by bdaly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Buffalo and Rochester are 73 miles apart, and only the major league Buffalo pro teams see any significant support from Rochester. I don't see people traveling 73 miles, much less 129, for minor league ball. I don't know if that would be a big enough market (given the D League's larger schedule with more weekdays, I definitely don't think it's a fit there), but the presence of a D League team a bit over two hours away isn't much of a threat. You have to be realistic and think: "Will many families spend over four hours in a car round trip and a ton of gas money to see a two hour and change minor league basketball game?" I think you'd have to be nuts to do it more than once or twice.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I doubt any Albany Patroons fans went to Springfield to see the D-League this season. It's less than 100 miles between the two cities, and you could even combine it with a trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Manchester is the one other New England team that might stick for next season, and the PBL was hyping Fall River, MA as a potential expansion site.

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 pm

"bdaly" wrote:Buffalo and Rochester are 73 miles apart, and only the major league Buffalo pro teams see any significant support from Rochester. I don't see people traveling 73 miles, much less 129, for minor league ball. I don't know if that would be a big enough market (given the D League's larger schedule with more weekdays, I definitely don't think it's a fit there), but the presence of a D League team a bit over two hours away isn't much of a threat. You have to be realistic and think: "Will many families spend over four hours in a car round trip and a ton of gas money to see a two hour and change minor league basketball game?" I think you'd have to be nuts to do it more than once or twice.

That's definitely my thinking as well. Neither Portland nor Bangor/Brewer have much to worry about from the other.
I think I may drop Steve and Tabby King an e-mail, asking them to get moving on this project, seeing as there is virtually nothing that could go wrong. :)

Return to “PBL”