The NBADL is adding a new franchise in Portland, Maine.
Rather than a puff piece written on a laptop in Indiana that purports to introduce the ownership (including the requisite "we found great people" "it fits beautifully in our division plans" and "the local fans deserve affordable, family-friendly basketball" blah blah), which invariable ends with something like "details on venue, website, nickname, et al to follow" - which means they don't have ANY of these things in place -
- an official league release
- a scheduled press conference with local coverage to announce the team
- a team that has ALREADY SECURED A VENUE
- input and attendance by local officials, verifying that they actually know about the team
- a phone number to order tickets
- a (temporary) website up at the time the team is announced, with news, actual contact info, team data and more
So we get this from Maine:
vs. the ABA announcement about Hawaii, vol. 3:
Hard to believe sometimes that the man behind the ABA mess actually made his career in promotions and public relations - the very qualities that this league so sorely lacks...