Is there room for 2?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
tbayz1
Site Admin

Is there room for 2?

Post by tbayz1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 pm

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/389566.html

This was the cover story that filled up about half of the frontpage and 3/4 of the second page.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:36 pm

Noticed this under the pic of the ABA ball...

"Recently Vermont, the defending league champion, and Manchester bolted for the PBL, leaving the ABA’s long-term stability in question."

Long term stability depends on on Joe getting more market reservations.

I always thought the short term stability was in question too
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

According the the ABA dictionary...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm

"long-term stability" is an oxymoron
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:26 pm

“I hope they leave us out as much as McDonald’s left Burger King out of the market,” Wier said. “To capture 20 million, you’re only looking at 5 percent penetration. What if you sell a Buffalo Dragons hat, like a Yankees hat, to 2 percent of your viewing audience? That’s 400,000 hats at five bucks a pop. That’s two million bucks.”

He's been listening to Newman with the McDonald's/Burger King analogy.

How about...and this is crazy...instead of trying to sell a Buffalo Dragons hat to 2% of a mythical Chinese viewing audience, you try to sell a Buffalo Dragons ticket to 1% of the actual population of Buffalo?

That's what drives me nuts about the PBL. Be a basketball league or don't be a basketball league. This mad scientist idea that you can somehow just create television programming for Chinese people instead of doing what a professional sports team does is just insane.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Both of these owners are on some good stuff. The one that left the Newmanistic world is still on Planet Newman with his dumb thoughts. Market the team first stop worrying about Chinese people that barely watch tv. The other owner is on some good stuff too listening to Joe and being part of the ABA. Buffalo is like Camden, New Jersey. Down and out. Look at the HSBC arena? Two events for the summer? Woooow. Even the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton is having more events than Buffalo. Buffalo can only sustain the Bills, Bandits, Bisons thats it.
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:04 pm

I have to agree with Sam. And I hate to say this, but I like the Sharks' approach much more than the Dragons.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 pm

We go from having no professional basketball for almost 30 years after the Braves left, then onto the Rapids/Silverbacks of the ABA, then a year with no basketball again, and now we have 2 teams! Its nuts! Buffalo, what a city...

It will be interesting to say the least. There are good committed people behind both franchises, both with a plan and goals. They also both play at good sized, nice venues.

The Sharks:

Lesh is a pretty decent guy. He is a good promoter, and knows people. However, the ABA will really set back the Sharks. They really don't have anyone to play. The Jersey Express and NYC Internationalz are really the only North Eastern teams currently. Jersey is okay at best, and NYC, well, at least they have a cool website. I just can't see them sticking around too long with no one to play. I'm sure Joe will add more North East teams 2 months before the season, but they'll just fold. Why waste your money playing the Jersey Express 30 times?

The Dragons:

The Chinese initiative with Chinese players could turn some people away from the Dragons, but I'm pretty optimistic with what the Dragons are trying to accomplish. The market is really huge! NexxNow not only is going to broadcast games, they also have this pretty cool computer technology. Read about it on their website. Its an advertising desktop application.

The Dragons are also in a more stable league where games get played. Plus they actually have close opponents. I'm optimistic and think the Dragons and NexxNow have a lot of potential, and I think they'll have a bright future. Also, as long as the Dragons market and advertise and people know about them, and they have a good team out on the floor, people will go. And I'm sure they will do just that!

I'm a Dragons fan, I just can't deal with this ABA crap for a third season. Its just too much, but it can be pretty funny! I might go check out a Sharks game (if they have an opponent that night).

Lets see how it all plays out...

I wonder how long it will be before the ABA has more teams in PBL cities ;)
Last edited by tbayz1 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: typo

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 am

Once again another ABA shill harkening back to the ABA the way it used to be with Dr. J and Gervin.....

Alright....everybody....in unison....

"It's not the same league!

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:27 pm

You know what. I would crap on the old ABA like I would on the new ABA. They're both garbage. So Gervin and Dr. J can both stick it also. Those three letters mean Garbage in general. The Old ABA was of a few stable teams and the rest were crap. Gee like the new ABA. They both equaled crap.
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

But with the passage of time, the crapness of the original ABA has morphed into fond nostalgia for the seat-of-your-paints, wild, wild west aspects of it.

As for the original question in the thread title, no, of course not:

Everybody knows that. :)
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “ABA”