Utica Wreckers at local Sci-Fi Convention

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Utica Wreckers at local Sci-Fi Convention

Post by Chuck the Writer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:03 pm

In an effort to get fans in the Mohawk Valley to meet the team, the Utica Wreckers last weekend hosted this year's science fiction fan convention at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The event, re-named "WREC-con," featured a booth for the three-time, two-league champion Utica wreckers, and allowed fans a chance to pose for photographs and autographs with the newest players and the team's classic lineup.

"What a bunch of freakin' freaks at this freakshow," said Wreckers team owner Michael Tuckman. "I can't believe any of these fans actually see sunlight out of their parents' basement more than twice a year, and here come all the trekkies and jedi knights and all the weirdos. Luckily for me these guys have disposable income - who else would pay $250 for William Shatner's belly button lint - and I sold some season tickets for the 2008-09 Wreckers hoops season."

The Wreckers fan booth featured several players behind the autograph table, including 11-year-old point guard Purlie Scarvin (who spent more time looking around for autographs from the extras for Battlestar Galactica), 55-year-old center Schultz Dooley (who wore a thread-bare "I Grok Spock" T-shirt, which he claimed he stored away in 1967 and brought out just for the weekend event), power forward Valerio "V.D." Dawson (who asked some Trekkies how Captain Kirk was able to bed so many space aliens without having to get an intergalactic penicillin shot), and a brand new signee, small forward Dougie Heywun, a streetball legend from the mean streets of downtown Utica.

"It's great to be part of the Wreckers," said Heywun, talking to several reporters while trying to conduct a call on his cell phone. "I'm ready to help take apart the rest of the ABA and that scum from the Vermont Frost Heaves, ALex Wolf. I can't wait until we get them on our schedule, that team will go down faster than Paris Hilton in front of a video camera!"

When later informed that the Frost Heaves were not on the schedule, Heywun cleared his throat and said, "That's cause they scared of Heywun."

When asked why the Wreckers were at a sci-fi convention, Tuckman said, "I told people we won three championship in two years - playing in the ABA and the USBL - and nobody could believe it. So we were perfect for this convention!"

More to follow...

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:10 pm

ZAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy schnickies!!! I just blew out ANOTHER monitor!! CHUCK!!!!! I NEED YOUR REPAIR SERVICES!!!!

Can't......Stop......Laughing.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 pm

"Chuck the Writer" wrote:"What a bunch of freakin' freaks at this freakshow," said Wreckers team owner Michael Tuckman. "I can't believe any of these fans actually see sunlight out of their parents' basement more than twice a year, and here come all the trekkies and jedi knights and all the weirdos. Luckily for me these guys have disposable income - who else would pay $250 for William Shatner's belly button lint - and I sold some season tickets for the 2008-09 Wreckers hoops season."

More to follow...

"Laddie, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

mrcool92501
Site Admin

Post by mrcool92501 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 am

star trekkin across the universe........

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 am

Live long and punster.
Nanoo Nanoo
May the Schwartz Be With You.

Return to “ABA”