...the Explosion look to be back with the IBL??

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]No, I don't kill messengers. It's not my style. I'm primarily thinking of costs. IMO, there's no fan interest in fall/winter minor league hoops (with very few exceptions). Why switch to a fall/winter league that's arguably more expensive?!?[/quote]

Sorry, this doesn't wash. On a per game basis, minor league bball winter games have a much higher attendance.

Not the fault of the IBL or even your Steelheads, but there is much less demand for minor league basketball in the summer. Your competition is other sports and better weather for outdoor activities. Don't take my word though. Do a little homework.

Regarding costs, sure if you don't pay players and play in high school gyms, your costs will be alot lower. I'll give you that. And, because no minor league basketball teams are financially successful, you could even say that IBL teams are the "best" from a business perspective. Arguably, I would lose less by declaring my rec league team a business and trying to sell tix to see us play, so careful taking that title.

But, please let's not confuse that with putting a high quality product on the court or with great fan interest.
Last edited by DazedAndAmused on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 pm

I really think the best thing for the ibl to do is to go there seperate ways, at least as far as the east west division is concerned.

The east teams should really just join the PBL. And the west should be the ibl, and maybe they can pick up some new teams out west.

Holland, and Elkhart, Windy City, and even grand rapids deserve better.

Actually, I wish the CBA and USBL was on a stronger foundation. We need good minorleague basketball again!

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:29 am

The east teams should really just join the PBL.
Winter league won't work for Elkhart! Might work for Michigan - you don't hear about Wolverine Whackiness. :p But not for Elkhart. And an East league without Elkhart is not an exciting prospect. In my totally unbiased opinion. :)

Elkhart_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Elkhart_Fan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:55 am

Winds - You're pretty sure that there is no way for Elkhart to pay in the PBL. I'm not convienced of that -- where there is a will, there is a way.

For one, you won't have a 80 degree gym in January. I know way too many people that would live to attend more Express games, but just can't take the heat of North Side Gym.

Again, I'm just not seeing how Elkhart in the PBL would be an impossible situation.

balling2008
Site Admin

Post by balling2008 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:26 am

I am wondering if a winter league is the best choice. Seems like a ok idea since you have to compete with the ever popular high school/college ball etc.. Summer would seem the best choice. What about the better players being overseas to play and not getting back till spring/summer. I dont know I think Elkhart etc.. are smart to stay in a summer league.

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:24 am

Elkhart Fan - first concern - where would they play? North Side? Weekends are taken by the high schools. What kind of attendance would they get playing only mid-week games? Forget Sundays, I think that's the lowest attendance day for the IBL games, can't see it changing in the winter.

If Elkhart (City, County, Area) got smart and built an arena, then yeah, PBL would be possible. But then, with a new arena, D-League would be possible, and a better sell, I bet. Get affiliated with the Bulls, get Detroit or Indy from the Mad Ants, that would give you the pull to get the fans from the high school and college games.

balling2008
Site Admin

Post by balling2008 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:38 pm

If Elkhart could get an arena definally NBDL would be the best choice! Get affiliated with NBA teams. I would think fans would love to see players who actually have a chance to play in the NBA etc.. Anything lower seems like a risk for winter league play. Do fans in the winter really want to see lower league ball play instead of going to a college game or high school. What about hockey and winter AAU. I agree that if you cant make it work in April why would it work in December. :confused:

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:40 pm

[quote=""winds55""]Elkhart Fan - first concern - where would they play? North Side? Weekends are taken by the high schools. What kind of attendance would they get playing only mid-week games? Forget Sundays, I think that's the lowest attendance day for the IBL games, can't see it changing in the winter.

If Elkhart (City, County, Area) got smart and built an arena, then yeah, PBL would be possible. But then, with a new arena, D-League would be possible, and a better sell, I bet. Get affiliated with the Bulls, get Detroit or Indy from the Mad Ants, that would give you the pull to get the fans from the high school and college games.[/quote]
More than one basketball game can be played in a building on a given day. The HS teams and the pro team could rotate through who played in the afternoon and who played at night. It's entirely doable.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:45 pm

[quote=""balling2008""]If Elkhart could get an arena definitely NBDL would be the best choice! Get affiliated with NBA teams.[/quote]
I am not sold that NBA affiliation does anything for you without baseball-like call ups. I care about the Kinston Indians because I know that in five years at least one player I see will be playing for the Cleveland Indians, possibly even as a star (see Sizemore, Grady). D-League talent call ups at this point seem to be to fill rosters or for emergencies. Until the D in the D-League is meaningful, I don't see the NBA affiliation as anything other than window dressing.

balling2008
Site Admin

Post by balling2008 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Well I would have to agree to disagree that the D league is not meaningful. Same as minor league baseball, hockey etc.. you will get call ups back and forth. There have been many players in the D league who have gone on to stay in the NBA. I think the D league will just get better and better. You can actually see college stars etc.. who will go on to the NBA. Its the same in baseball. There has been 29 call ups from the D league just last year. Thats pretty impressive. The affiliation part can only help a team. Money, sponsors, better players etc....
Last edited by balling2008 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “IBL”