...the Explosion look to be back with the IBL??

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote=""iblvoice""]What is all of the fuss about-

4. Gary not going to playoffs- does the IBL care? The IBL believes the main obligation is to show up to your opponents home games, then to run your own home games and after the regular season (your obligation) is completed, and only if you have enough money to do this- compete in the playoffs; in other words playoffs are optional b/c when we (IBL) studied the history of playoffs back in 2003 (we studied the history of many leagues before we built the IBL model), it was found that playoffs was almost always the final straw for teams struggling to go out of business.
[/quote]

The main selling points of the IBL to Gary were the close proximity of opposing IBL teams and the possibility of hosting at least one playoff game. That's why Gary put together talent to defeat (and DID defeat Elkhart once). Gary fans come out in large numbers for the playoffs run and then pretend they've been coming to games all along. That's how it is here. The Steelheads were counting on these fan tendacies. The fans were counting on seeing a playoff game at the Gary Genesis Center.

However, why the Steelheads ignored low-cost and no-cost marketing opportunities--I don't know.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:45 pm

[quote=""Elkhart_Fan""]Hummm....IBLVOICE = Dulio? The post is pretty suspicious....Why not just come out and say who you are instead of hiding behind a fake username?[/quote]

Oops! I think most of us on this board use fake usernames. Example: My middle name isn't really Steelheads and my actual last name isn't quite as common as fan. ;)

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:50 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]The main selling points of the IBL to Gary were the close proximity of opposing IBL teams and the possibility of hosting at least one playoff game. That's why Gary put together talent to defeat (and DID defeat Elkhart once). Gary fans come out in large numbers for the playoffs run and then pretend they've been coming to games all along. That's how it is here. The Steelheads were counting on these fan tendacies. The fans were counting on seeing a playoff game at the Gary Genesis Center.

However, why the Steelheads ignored low-cost and no-cost marketing opportunities--I don't know.[/quote]

Gary's ownership should have checked and seen how the IBL operates it's conference playoff tournaments. They've been using the single-site tournament format since the league started, and from what I can tell the sites are determined well before the season starts. Perhaps Gary's ownership has no one to blame but themselves for not making a successful bid attempt to host the East playoffs? Money talks in this league, and I'm sure if they were willing to pony up the dough, they could have hosted.

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 pm

[quote=""Elkhart_Fan""]Hummm....IBLVOICE = Dulio? The post is pretty suspicious....Why not just come out and say who you are instead of hiding behind a fake username?[/quote]

He stated his affiliation with the IBL - can't ask for more than that. You know to take his opinion as one who has more of a stake than just how his his favorite team does.

Ken's right - we all use fake names. It's the posters that hide their true professional and financial stakes that hurt credibility.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:42 pm

[quote=""besl""]Gary's ownership should have checked and seen how the IBL operates it's conference playoff tournaments. They've been using the single-site tournament format since the league started, and from what I can tell the sites are determined well before the season starts. Perhaps Gary's ownership has no one to blame but themselves for not making a successful bid attempt to host the East playoffs? Money talks in this league, and I'm sure if they were willing to pony up the dough, they could have hosted.[/quote]

Agreed. Gary's ownership group has no one to blame except themselves for what went wrong this season, especially since all their scheduled opponents did indeed show-up. BTW, they didn't have an opportunity to host 2007 playoff games in the USBL either (so it's not like not hosting is anything new).

Elkhart_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Elkhart_Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Ken \ Winds - I knew as soon as I saved that post that I should have worded it differently. I agree that we all, including myself, use something other than my real name. I guess what I was getting at is that if indeed "IBLVoice" is the Commish Dulio, then he should at least admit it.

IF, (and I admit a big IF), IBLVoice is Dulio, it is pretty lame for a league offical to try to give comments (and justifications) without giving our identity. I just believe that the Commssioner isn't a "commoner"....you wouldn't see Bud Selig or David Stern using an alias when communicating about their respective leagues, it just isn't professional....and takes away from his credability. (Which has been suspect from many people.)

However, I do agree with your points....I just wished I would have presented this better....

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I can't believe the commissioner has come on this message board and tried to defend this league, but then again, If I was stealing as much money from teams as he is, he has a vested interest to try for another season.

Mr. commisioner, what is your salary you are paid from this league? After an unoffical study of team league fees, minus expenses that the league paid out, I have calculated the commissioner makes nearly $200,000.00.

If I am wrong, then lets see the books mr. commissioner.

And all of this feel good crap about the league is so silly, when the whole gary situation in itself is enough to make this league a joke.

I am offended by dulio coming on here and putting this crap out here like we are a bunch of idiots. This league needs to go away, as does the aba.

You have good people, who don't know any better, being taken advantage of by this sham of a league. And dulio is to blame. This nonsense about his playoffs study, and how it is bankrupting teams? Is he serious?

You guys who like the ibl, God Bless you. But don't let this guy take advantage of you without accountability. He's not even rationalizing, hes just out and out lying. He talks a good game.

And too think I thought clinton and obama could talk a good game, good thing dulio didnt run for president. he might be the democrat nominee.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm

First, the commish's participation on this board is conjecture, not proven fact. Just because someone says it might be him, that doesn't make it him, so save your indignation unless you have proof.

You have no right to see the books unless you are an investor. Allegations of him "stealing" are outright wrong unless you can provide some proof. How has he stolen? By collecting previously agreed upon franchise fees for the business that he owns and created? Do you have something more to share?

A warning to everyone. Leave politics out of your messages. We'll see enough of it elsewhere this year.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 pm

With all do respect, its people like you that allow these people to continue in their fraud. I talked to owners of ibl teams, and their franchise fees is in excess of twice what they recieve back in terms of services and goods from the league.

For your information, I used to coach in the ibl, and I was a supporter of the ibl. but that was in the beginning, because the league had promise. However, it has not improved at all in four years. And then this guy continues to charge large franchise fees. And what do they get in return?

This is legitamate concerns that should be addressed.

We need a good spring/summer league here in the states, the ibl, in its present format, is not the answer.

I will leave politics out of this, but it was only a comparison.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:27 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]IAnd too think I thought clinton and obama could talk a good game, good thing dulio didnt run for president. he might be the democrat nominee.[/quote]

Dude, have you ever heard of the Enron loophole? Well someone wants to hire the man that invented the loophole that lead to all the energy speculation problems our nation is currently facing as the next head of the Treasury Department. Feel free to research how that would affect your life.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

Return to “IBL”