Kobe's Dad to coach Phoenix ABA?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
abie10
Site Admin

Kobe's Dad to coach Phoenix ABA?

Post by abie10 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 am

From AZCentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/ar ... 0fury.html
The father of Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is a key partner in launching the Phoenix Fury, an American Basketball Association expansion team.

Former NBA player Joe "Jellybean" Bryant might coach the Fury, although the Los Angeles resident said Thursday that he remains "undecided."

The potential of Bryant's move surprised even Kobe, who heard the news through the media and called saying, "Hey Dad, you're going to Phoenix?"

Bryant is the Fury's operational director and will join CEO Xavier Mitchell at Phoenix Greenway High at 9 a.m. Friday to interview potential Fury players, coaches, sponsors and dancers.

The ABA season begins in early December. The league has been criticized for organizational flaws, quick folds and sub-par play.

The original ABA merged with the NBA in 1976 after experiencing financial struggles from limited television exposure.

A new league with the same ABA name launched in 2000 and revived the classic ABA's signature red, white and blue ball.

The league has about 50 teams in locations such as Nashville, Detroit, Los Angeles and Buffalo.

Bryant said the Fury will save traveling costs by playing nearby teams, such as Prescott Valley's Arizona Rhinos and the San Diego Wildcats.

Bryant and Mitchell said they remain optimistic about the Fury's survival if the community rallies in support.

"This is supposed to be Phoenix's basketball team," Mitchell said. "There is a hot bed of talent here."

Players of interest include former high school standouts and Division II or III college players, Bryant said. He reiterated that potential players must be committed to community service.

"Don't look at us just as wins or losses," he said. "Look at what we're doing in the community."

Bryant, a former coach of the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks, also said he hopes the Fury set a precedent for welcoming women to the ABA.

"We are not going to exclude women," he said. "A lot of women can play with the guys."

ABA salaries range from $200 to "five-figure amounts" per game, Mitchell said.

The Greenway gymnasium, which seats around 2,000, will serve as the Fury's home court. Mitchell originally explored Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum as a potential venue but opted for Greenway because of the smaller size and partnership with the school.

Mitchell said he plans to charge about $7 for admission.

Mitchell and Bryant did not specify a timeline for choosing the team, but they encouraged fans to suggest talented local players by visiting thephoenixfury.com.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:20 am

Wasn't Jellybean affiliated with the Cape Cod Frenzy in one form or another?

"ABA salaries range from $200 to "five-figure amounts" per game, Mitchell said." What would be 5 figures for an ABA player? $200.01? Seems Joe is the only one that gets 5 figures ($10,000).
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:39 pm

I believe the elder Bryant played in the league as recently as two or three years ago.

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:42 pm

[quote=""The Sweeper""]Wasn't Jellybean affiliated with the Cape Cod Frenzy in one form or another?

"ABA salaries range from $200 to "five-figure amounts" per game, Mitchell said." What would be 5 figures for an ABA player? $200.01? Seems Joe is the only one that gets 5 figures ($10,000).[/quote]

Jellybean coached and played for Cape Cod/Boston Frenzy. He played better than many of the players he coached or played against with.

"Phoenix's team" Boy like shaq said to kobe but this going from Joe to the Owner "How does my a** taste?"

Kobe must have told his dad, pop's lay off whatever you're on. You're in for Doom. Shaq is going to make you taste it when you fail.

Anyways. I am in the process of finishing up a little post that i will put up soon on how to run a team the right way. Will it guarantee you a profit? Heck no, not with today's economy, but it will be a success in general for the fans, players and ownership as money will always flow to keep you afloat.
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:22 pm

Bryant played against us in 04-05.

He pretty much stopped moving at anything faster than a walk about 6 minutes into the game.

He'd play OK defense, but after getting a rebound and his outlet pass it was 4 on 5 for the Frenzy for nearly half the shot-clock on that possession (sometimes longer)

He was, however, extremely friendly throughout the game, joking with the fans and those of us at the scorer's table when he would sub in. He also spent a good deal of time after the game signing programs for kids and talking to the local TV and newspapers.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

CoachSavage
Site Admin

Boston

Post by CoachSavage » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

I was the owner of the Boston Frenzy in 04-05 and yes, Joe played in 5 games and averaged 14 points per game and actually had 27 (I think) against Harlem. He is a good coach and a better person. He helped us land some nice sponsors and was very involved in the community. I saw him at the JBL try-outs here in Las Vegas last week......I am 99% sure he will go back to Japan for at least one more season. Check out the 2 links below....good stuff..

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/spo ... n_age.html

http://www.eastbayri.com/story/282491774537874.php

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:30 pm

I was at the home opener for the Frenzy that year—Boston lost to Harlem in OT. Kenny Charles coached the Revs and it was nice to see two former NBA players on the bench. Having only caught a couple of CBA games in Hartford, I was impressed by how professional the operations seemed. The attendance was over 2,000 and the crowd was pretty much what the league would have wished—families, college students and bunch of old guys like me.

CoachSavage
Site Admin

Frenzy

Post by CoachSavage » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Rhanks for coming to that game.....it was full of highlights and was a great finish even if we lost. I wish the numbers could have stayed up but every Sunday game was a bust becuase we were going up against the Patriots.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:47 am

That in my opinion killed the Frenzy too. I went to a number of games when they played at UMASS Dartmouth in New Beddy. It was a straight ride for me down 195 and easy. I found it really well organized and good excitement too.

But Coach those Sunday games when the Pats would be playing really hurt. Even the times would be in lockstep. A 1pm Pats game would almost certainly be up against a 1 or 2pm Frenzy game.

It was a pity it ended.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

CoachSavage
Site Admin

Frenzy

Post by CoachSavage » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Paul,

Your right....it is a pity....but, I have learned so much from the past 5 years in the minor leagues. I am itching to give it another try. I now know what dates work best and I also know a million ways to save money now. I have always been good at getting sponsors, but time will tell........thanks for the support.....and I hope to see Joe Bryant in the next few days so I will get an up-date from him.....

Return to “ABA”