From LA to Kentucky?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
tbayz1
Site Admin

From LA to Kentucky?

Post by tbayz1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Days after it was announced that NBA Vet Vincent Askew and former coach of the Albany Patroons of the CBA would become the GM of the Los Angeles Push:

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3671900

He is now on board with the Kentucky Mavericks in Bowling Green:

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/200 ... ports2.txt

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 am

I am assuming this is the same Vincent Askew that spent a total of three days coaching the Tampa Bay Strongdogs before being replaced. Didn't matter anyway as the team folded before the season began in 2006. :D

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 am

[quote=""runninref""]I am assuming this is the same Vincent Askew that spent a total of three days coaching the Tampa Bay Strongdogs before being replaced. Didn't matter anyway as the team folded before the season began in 2006. :D [/quote]

Then he should know better, therefore my sympathy level decreases when the inevitable implosion occurs.

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:46 am

Could someone explain why Vincent Askew is such a hot coaching commodity? Wasn't he just an awful coach in Albany last season?

There have got to be some better coaches out there who, like Askew, will also work for free.

PikevilleOT
Site Admin

coaching styles?

Post by PikevilleOT » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I hope the players like late night phone calls.....

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Seeing as how this is the ABA and one person has many duties, Askew can be GM out in LA, coach of Kentucky, player for the Boston Blizzard and part owner of the Aurora Force.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Get this, now Askew is going back to LA!!!!!!

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/200 ... ports2.txt

From LA to KY back to LA all in just a few days, not even a week! Only in the ABA... :D

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 pm

I see this donkey defaulting on his business loan soon, very very soon
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 pm

Bowling Green Daily News wrote:Smith suggested finance was the main issue.
Great, a team in financial trouble already. What a surprise. It sounded like the owner was upset Askew actually expected to be paid in something other than empty cans.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

"I’m in a situation right now where I have to know in March or April that they’re going to be there - and I’m sure they will - but that’s just where I’m coming from.”

Well....if you're sure they will be around...what's the problem?

On the one hand, I applaud an owner trying to live within his means. Too many ABA teams throw money at everything that they can't hope to get back.

On the other hand, I still think this guy is in over his head and his team won't be around next March.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “ABA”