Trouble in Albany

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

Trouble in Albany

Post by psbf » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:53 pm

According to an article in today's Times-Union, the Patroons are havig problems. They're having problems getting season ticket holders;
http://www.timesunion.com

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Well spotted PSBF....

Try this link though

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... yID=699743

They've sold 50 season tix at 200 bucks and need another 500 by the end of July. Used to be the end of June but for obvious reasons they have pushed the deadline back.

Sad for Albany, a once great name is now in the dog house. The Times Union isn't exactly up to speed on the Mother-Tuckman teams out West either, thinks they will be back in Great Falls and Butte.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Thats a whole lot of tickets to sell in a month, and it won't be easy, especially with the economy, people aren't spending...

Good Luck Pats! It would be sad to see them go with the history that they have.

FrontOffice
Site Admin

Post by FrontOffice » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Let's hope Albany gets a rash of stimulus checks in the mail this month.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 pm

Although the economy is tough, a month is still plenty of time for the Patroons to find enough supporters to save them, although it seems dim overall. I would hate to see them go, especially with supporters like Chuck and Patroons1 and others. But that makes two teams with financial problems, when you include the Rio Grande Valley Silverados. I know(from reading their websites) that RGV, Minot, the PGH and East Ky all have camps going on.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:36 am

A tough situation to be in...

They want more season tickets holders but they can't post a schedule for next year to see who they play or at least announce exactly how many games are going to be played.

My wife was going to buy me season tickets for the LFS Cavalry but I told her to hold off since the status of the league is up in the air.

I mean, come on, the League meetings were over two days ago and nothing new on the website about it or any news about other teams leaving the league.

Somebody somewhere needs to let fans of their teams, weither it is owners or the league, know what is going on.

They want our dollars, but can't tell us if they are going to play or not?

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:25 pm

News does not always have to be announced on here. Check the team websites too.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:32 pm

What's going on in Albany has to be of great concern for the remainder of the CBA. Not only does the article indicate potentially serious problems with one of the few remaining CBA franchises, but those problems are with a team that has a leadership position with the league. I think there are at least three possible outcomes here. First, the team folds and with it the CBA is done after sending over a couple of franchises to the PBL. Second, ownership ignores the ticket goal and keeps the team alive anyway. Third, and least likely, the team is sold.

Patroons1
Site Admin

Post by Patroons1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 pm

This news, to this supporter/fan makes me feels something between sadness and as if I was treated unfairly.

After a dismal, paint drying 07-08 season, where it appeared management had already thrown in the towel, on and off the court and now, after hearing nothing since the end of the season from the team or league, no billboards, no newspaper ad, no community involvment, no new coach announcement, no positive offseason news to season ticket holders, nothing at all, the fans receive a letter in the middle of June that gives us 2+ weeks to raise 600 season tickets and we don't even know if their is a league or a move to PBL planned or what??? Then, the newspaper gets involved and the reports that the offer is graciously extended to the end of July. The only good news is prices came down.

But, for those from Albany, we know that the Timesunion article or spin or plot (whatever you want to call it) is never what it seems. This letter which appears to be either a "do or die" or "self fufilling prophecy for failure" is one of a couple things as suggested above.

(1) The CBA and Patroons are already dead and this is the excuse needed to blame it on fan support and not the other 200 legitimate reasons (we have all discussed here) why people stopped coming last year and why the CBA in its current form is a business plan that does not make ends meet.

(2) They are looking for a local business person with more money and heart than brains to come in, share the risk, pump in the cash and give the team another chance

(3) The Patroons are going to the PBL, they do/will have a enough tickets to operate in that league and they'll use this "letter response" as the reason for justifying the move to the PBL (remember, Albany is an Old and long term CBA town and that is what people identify with)

I sure dont want to lose the Patroons 2X in a lifetime. This time will be for good I am afraid. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted

panchess
Site Admin

Didn't sound like the PBL..

Post by panchess » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:10 pm

..was being considered, though that would seem to be a logical solution to the Patroons's situation given that they could possibly complete an entire season (or at least 80% of it) without leaving the ground. A PBL season would likely be less than half the cost of a CBA season with the same number of games, given the Patroons's location and potential opponents. I agree with preeths, who's buying the team?

It wouldn't be that hard for management to replace the dates with roller derby (a surprising major success for the Armory last winter), the tennis team that moved in, some high school basketball and a few concerts. Maybe a few other rental activities.

Return to “CBA”