Glimpse of the Future

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Glimpse of the Future

Post by Pounder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Mike Taylor, who had his scholarship revoked by Iowa State, then managed a spot with the Idaho Stampede for their championship run this year, was drafted by Portland in the second round last night. He's been traded to the Clippers already.

Meanwhile...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3454157

Is this the future? Will the college route die off? I tend to think that's what the D-League will become. Last night was the first step. There's many to go, and few of them have been built, much less trod upon. Still, while I suspect this will happen slowly, I suspect it will happen.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:06 pm

I think its going to have to end up like Basketball, where if you sign your LOI you have to go to college 2-3 years, if you don't you enter the draft and/or go to the Dleague.....

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 pm

I realize this is more "major league" oriented... but Europe is now clearly poking and prodding, and Josh Childress is certainly going to use that to try to get the Atlanta Hawks to pay more.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 11SOHV.DTL

Are European teams going to start getting established NBA players?
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 am

[quote=""Pounder""]I realize this is more "major league" oriented... but Europe is now clearly poking and prodding, and Josh Childress is certainly going to use that to try to get the Atlanta Hawks to pay more.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 11SOHV.DTL

Are European teams going to start getting established NBA players?[/quote]

The days of the super power are over....

The owners have been kicking the unions .... for the last ten years. Hopefully Childress will head overseas, others will follow, then the market will be forced to correct itself (pure capitalism at it's best!!!).

However, in five to ten years NBA Asia will be providing NBA owners with more money than you or I could ever dream of. Therefore, this market correction will be extremely short lived. In ten years D-league players could be earning 400K per year.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:17 am

One troubling sign is the fact that NBA teams are attempting to force American cities to use tax dollars to build existing NBA teams new arenas.
While NBA owners are joining forces to build 12 new state of the art arenas in Asia with their own funds.

Thet can build 12 arenas in Asia but they can't build one in Seattle. Something is really wrong with the American education system when 99% of the consumers here can't see the mass exodus of cash from our nation to Asia. We may elect a guy that does not know how to log on to a computer this Fall. It's becoming unreal.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

Return to “D-League”